• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleghorn conditions Sat. 2-9-08

desertracer

NAXJA Forum User
Thought I'd check out the conditions think maybe all the sun we've had has gotten rid of most of the snow. I was wrong. Almost got stuck at the v-notch because of the mud.

Ran into this guy from Adventure4x4.net. at the trailhead and followed him up. He slid into this rut and had to winch out shortly after the v-notch.

This snow field shortly after was the end of the road for us. Terry (the guy I was with) tried maybe 15 runs at it with no luck. There were no tracks beyond his. So I guess nobody has made it up. The snow was at least 2 feet deep and the mud leading up to it was slick as snot. We turned around and went back out the v-notch and took the main road further up.

She did most of the driving.

A lot of snow up towards the top. Just past this section the main road got pretty deep. Probably 18-24" in some spots. People were making illegal bypasses around the small snow fields because they were nearly impossible to cross. We turned around and went home not wanting to use the illegal bypasses.

Short clip of Terry getting buried in the snow. Had to pull the winch out again.
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3038624220044518644dPtWVU?vhost=rides

desertracer said:
She did most of the driving.

She probably got you through the hard parts.. huh??

I didn't think there still would be snow up there..

errrrr... mud...... Mud doesn't like me.. Mud gets expensive for me. I alway seem to have to replace a few pricey parts after going in the mud...

It looked like fun.. Was it cold????

E

saki669 said:
Wuss...
Why didnt you call me?
It was a last minute thing to get the kid out of the house so the woman could clean.

It was not cold. It was jeans and long sleeve shirt type weather. Absolutely gorgeous.

It was wierd because the ground would be bone dry then we'd run into a deep, short section of snow, then bone dry again. There were some drifts that were at least 3 feet deep in places on the sides of the trail. Must have been pretty windy when it was snowing or something.

We ran into a group of four Forest Service ticket writers on quads and they told us there were a bunch of Jeeps stuck up ahead. Either we didn't get that far up or they got unstuck before we got to them.

I got one of 'em out. Went up there for a little today and just like you say there were sections of bone dry and sections of deep snow. Bout 5 mile in screwing around on a trail off the fire road a ranger pulls up to me and I figure hes gonna give me crap for not being on the road but says "hey there is a guy stuck around the corner up here can you come try to pull him out". So I go around and there is a guy in a new Rubicon buried in snow, says hes been working at getting it out for a couple of hours and nobody had come by. So we yank him out and say ahhhh, we can make it through your just a wuss. Well the section he said he was afraid to go across was about a foot wide flat the rest was about a 60 degree slope. Didn't feel like falling off the cliff so we turned around. Of course my buddy got stuck and we spent some time getting him out and NOBODY came by the whole time. It was a fun run. Forgot the camera but he should post some pics soon. There was one guy in a sweet XJ that crawled right up the notch, no problem at all made it look easy. Was also kind of a last minute thing here also.

looks better than it was last week!

COYOTE BLANCO said:
I got one of 'em out. Went up there for a little today and just like you say there were sections of bone dry and sections of deep snow. Bout 5 mile in screwing around on a trail off the fire road a ranger pulls up to me and I figure hes gonna give me crap for not being on the road but says "hey there is a guy stuck around the corner up here can you come try to pull him out". So I go around and there is a guy in a new Rubicon buried in snow, says hes been working at getting it out for a couple of hours and nobody had come by. So we yank him out and say ahhhh, we can make it through your just a wuss. Well the section he said he was afraid to go across was about a foot wide flat the rest was about a 60 degree slope. Didn't feel like falling off the cliff so we turned around. Of course my buddy got stuck and we spent some time getting him out and NOBODY came by the whole time. It was a fun run. Forgot the camera but he should post some pics soon. There was one guy in a sweet XJ that crawled right up the notch, no problem at all made it look easy. Was also kind of a last
minute thing here also.
I posted pix on another string. But here they are :
Click on image...

Cleghorn%202-9-08
[/URL][/IMG]

Cleghorn%202-9-08
[/URL][/IMG]

Cleghorn%202-9-08
[/URL][/IMG]

:eyes:
Later,

just got back from cleg with the wife in her xj. we got as far in the snow as everyone else did and her xj is bone stock. She did how ever get out while I backed up the trail in the snow

Back