• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head scratcher

Crush

NAXJA Forum User
Ok,I know some of you will get upset thinking I didnt search this,but I did,and though some sound familiar,none seem right for me.
First off,I have a 1989 Jeep Wagoneer limited.I have replaced the exhaust,battery,and spark plugs,and wires.After I did all that it ran fine.Then out of nowhere Im driving along and everytime I tried pressing on the gas it would sputter and die.I barely made it home by feathering the pedal.It had no power.Now in my driveway,whenever I go to start it up,it takes forever to get it started and once it does,it will idle for a second then want to die.I have to feather the throttle to get it to stay runnig.I have to go throught this 4 to 5 time before it will settle on a idle that is about 2000 rpm.Once it settles at it high idle.I try to press the gas fast and it wants to just die.If I try to slowly rev it up it will respond,but it sputters really bad.I tested the TPS and it is right where it should be.I AM COMPLETELY LOST!PLEASE HELP!

Replaced it.Sorry forgot to add that.I also tested the MAP sensor and it is good too.

Last edited:
If your fuel pressure is fine, my best guess would be a bad TPS or corroded connector. Also check the ground from the rear of the head to the firewall.

I agree with the EGR. But an easier way to test it is to plug off the vacume line at the intake and retest.

I know you said you tested the TPS, but how far did the test go. If the TPS has flat wear spots on the travel path it creates a noisy signal that jumps around and throws the ECU controls off causing your exact problems. Only way to test the TPS for that problem is with an analog ohm meter, a digital ohm meter will not show the noise problem. TPS sensors are common wear items.

You also said the MAP sensor tested OK, but gave no details of the test, so have you checked the vacuum line to the MAP sensor at the throttle body? If it gets loose it will cause your exact symptoms too.

I doubt it is an EGR problem, but it is possible. IF the EGR is stuck wide open, you may have to pull it and physically inspect it to verify the problem source, as it is spring loaded to close and can get stuck open with carbon...vacuum line tests on the EGR will not detect a stuck open EGR.

Bad IAC by itself will not cause your problems.

Back