• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window Tint

Big Kev

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ with the factory "privacy glass" window tint on the rear windows. Does any body know what % the factory tint is? I am looking at doing the front door windows and I would like it to be as close to the others as possible.

I wanna say 35%, I guess im really no help we did it on my girlfriends 96 and her factory tint was even a different color than the shop had, it was dark but greyer, I think later years were more like what you can get done at a shop.

My dad has a 94 and his windows are starting to look purple. But mine still looks black and it is pretty dark, I think it will be darker than 35%.

I have a 00, and I would bet that it is 15% buy you should know that in colorado it is illegal to have the driver or passenger tinted darker than 35%. You'd be settin your self up to be a target by the po po.

...if you go to a good shop they should have a light detector.

The same thing the Police sometimes carry to check tinting.

It just slides over the glass and emits a light, and then a sensor on the other side of the glass detects the percentage of light being allowed through.

umm, a lot of states say that 35% is as dark as you can go all the way around w/ the exception of a lot of southern states.

I had 25% on my front two windows when I bought the jeep and it was darker than the back windows.

I'm going to say with almost complete definitiveness, 35% from the factory.... If it truly is factory privacy glass and not aftermarket tint.

You can't go wrong with 35% on the front windows either. Once you start to go darker it starts to get annoying. Trust me, I have 5% behind the drivers seats and 25% on the front two windows.

My first jeep was very dark behind the front windows. It looked good but it was a pain backing up some times at night. I just found colorado law and it tells me I can do up to 27% but not darker.

Up here you can run limo, blackout whatever as long as you have both outer mirrors. but No tint is permitted on the front drivers/passengers windows, not even transparent uv protective tint! stupid royal canadian mounting police

200 miles west in alberta, anything goes! well except for radar/laser detectors,poor suckers!!!

i have something random like 32% to match the factory tint. That was my goal too. It is really close and matches perfectly in a lot of light. But if you're picky like me, in some light, its a tad bit lighter than the back windows. From far away this looks perfect, but look really close and u may be able to tell the small difference.

IMG_7318.jpg

Sometimes different film comes out differently. I wanna get it swapped out for 20%, but according to Ty its darker than the back, which i think looks even worse. I would say just go to the shop and tell them to throw some 30% on there.

I have 20% on mine all the way around and my parent's factory tint on the back windows of the PT and Windstar appear darker, but don't know exactly. It seems to me that factory tint can be anywhere b/t 15-30%.

White1998XJ said:
15% or 20% depending on the brand of film they use to match. I have 18% on mine.

(I worked at a tint shop for a year or so)

I don't know about that... I live in Charlotte where everyone has tint on their cars whether it's legal or illegal. Not to mention I've done my own tinting along with some friends cars.

I know that 25% was a tad darker than my back windows on my 2000 Cherokee. 35% that I put on my friends 2001 Cherokee was just about a perfect match for his back windows. 15% is way too dark to match factory windows, besides, Jeep wouldn't put 15% tint on back windows from the factory as it's illegal in many many states (yes to have on the back windows of a Jeep). I'm not trying to shut you down, but I have done my research on these kinds of things. And as for that other post about 20% looking lighter than your mom's PT... You sure the PT doesn't have aftermarket? And are you sure that your windows truly are 20%... If so, tint darkness may appear different depending on the type of vehicle and the vehicles window angles itself. Try doing some research on how tint works and you might answer your own question...

Not on SUV's, atleast not in Cali or Wa. Just the front two windows, and the windsheild.

As for factory tint on '97+ XJ's, '96+ZJ's, Durango's, is ~20%. 35% is WAY too light, doesn't match at all.

lots of North Eastern states don't allow anything darker than 35%. I'm not lying to you when I say that 25% is darker than my 2000 Cherokee's factory rear windows. I know for a fact that it was.

Back