• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case waits to disengage

Mr. Pickle

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, here is what I have and the problem. Is something wrong or am I being too anal?

94 XJ, 231, auto, non-vacum disco, aussie lockers f/r

So I was pulling around my parking lot and pulled the lever into 4wd hi for about 100 yards. I was only going straigh and then I put it back into 2wd. I gassed a little, coasted and then gassed again (just coasting usually disengages the 4wd). I tried to turn and the 4wd was still engaged. I stopped and checked the lever and it was still down. I backed up, went forward and then it disengaged so I could turn.

Has anyone had this problem? Has it just been 'acting' good for me until now and now it is acting normal? I don't think it is but would the fluid level affect this? Thanks in advance for the help.

dont EVER put a 231 into 4 on dry pavement!!!!!! its not disengaging because the internals are all bound up trying to push against eachother. if you drive long enough with it bound up you will snap the chain. it releases when you back up because you are undoing the stress you just put on it.

the 231 is not a "full time" 4wd tcase, its only for limited traction situations. the 242 has a full time 4wd option, which would be fine for dry pavement (but why would you need it??)

Yes, the parking lot was paved.

The reason I put it into 4wd is because I just changed the diff fluids and I wanted to cycle the front fluid with some stress on it. I also had a weird vibe up front and when I changed the fluid I tightened a few loose bolts and wanted to see it if still vibed. I have done this before with no problems.

Why would it bind going straight? I understand about turning due to the direct ratio.

Mr. Pickle said:
Yes, the parking lot was paved.

The reason I put it into 4wd is because I just changed the diff fluids and I wanted to cycle the front fluid with some stress on it. I also had a weird vibe up front and when I changed the fluid I tightened a few loose bolts and wanted to see it if still vibed. I have done this before with no problems.

Why would it bind going straight? I understand about turning due to the direct ratio.
It will bind going straight if your tires are worn or inflated unevenly.

Back