• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Tried to Get away

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
88 4.0 with BA10 and NP231
Last week I got into a little tussle with a semi and did a bunch of front end damage. Semi pulled out in front of me on an icy morning and I hit him at about 30mph. Drove away with no noticable engine damage. Fast forward to last night. I noticed some fluid on the garage floor and got underneath to take a look. After cleaning everything up underneath the heap I found a few things.
1) rear seal on the transfer case is leaking out around the shaft. I have searched and should be easy enough to remedy
2) the two front most tranny bolts on the crossmember are completly out. one was sitting on the crossmember one missing.
3) the two rear bolts appear to be working themselves out. approx 1/4" of thread showing.
4) some oil dripping from behind inspection plate on front of tranny, could be some blowby residue though...

I have not had time to search yet, but was wondering if anyone had sizes/torque for these tranny bolts. and any other ideas of intrest.

thanks
Kyle

Ok, looked some tonight and have not found any bolt size on these tranny bolts. I did however find some interesting info regarding french technology. Interestingly I found that my problems with second gear seem to be somewhat across the board ( I get a syncronic grind in downshift when cold). Any how...
Are there any others of you who happened to end up with a BA in your rig?
Have you replaced tranny mount?
Can you tell me bolt sizes?

I would truly appreciate the help

Almost forgot, When I change the fluid in the Puegot... should I go with royal purple GL3?

For bolt sizes contact 5-90, he has assembled a list of these.

When I changed mine in my MJ, it was pretty rotted. So I took the bolts out, used the floor jack to lift the transmission just enough to slide the new one in.

Fluid... Amsoil Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube. I don't use RP products after an incident with my local dealer and the companies previous refusal to answer some technical questions I had....

Pulled the crossmember and the tranny mount tonight. Rubber on the mount looks good to me. Store was closed by the time I got to it but I think the 4 bolts from mount to transmission case should be M12-1.5x20mm. have not found proper torque yet. found some other issues as well
2006_0315tranny0006.jpg

Can anybody tell me where the hose(I think its the vent line) goes, and how much torque should be applied to the circled bolt.
thanks guys

Back