• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Safe to run without front sway bar?

x6xdemonx6x

NAXJA Forum User
91 cherokee 3.5" on 31s i was wondering if it is safe to run without front sway bar. I only ask because for some reason instead of a drop down bracket on one side they used stacked metal plates....kind of scary looking

some people will say yes, some will say no. if you have a lifted xj with a higher spring rate (stiffer) like i do, i run without them and haven't had any problems, even with having to turn at the last minute at higher speeds. the problem some people have is in a highway speed situation, it can lead you to flip more easily when defensive driving.

I run my XJ without the front swaybar and I have had 0 problems making hasty manuvers on the road goin 65+

Not only is it safe, it is pretty much standard.

My 96 with 3.5" lift and 32s has no swaybars, handles real nice on the highway.

My 99 with 6" of lift and longarms is fine too with no swaybars!!

if you've never driven without it before there's a sort of "leaving curve". once you're used to it, it's no big deal. i've driven with mine disconnected for months at a time because sometimes i'm a little too lazy to hook the disconnects up again.

I wouldn't worry about it but I prefer my handling with it connected. I think it feels a lot more stable at highway speeds with one. I much prefer having the option to hook it up for long trips

With no sway bar either front or rear, (In theory) it will increase your understeer. I wouldn't want to be going into a clover too fast and just keep going straight. Gotta love sway bar disconnects :laugh: .

Whether you run a front sway bar or not, NOBODY should ever advise SOMEBODY ELSE to drive without one. That is irresponsible. There are other factors that each individual has to take into consideration.

Old fart off the soapbox now.

its just the front one i want to pull off i wish i had camera to show pics of how scary of a job they mounting it but basiclly it looks like i would actually be safer without the front one on.

x6xdemonx6x said:
its just the front one i want to pull off i wish i had camera to show pics of how scary of a job they mounting it but basiclly it looks like i would actually be safer without the front one on.
If you're concerned about it (and it sounds like you should be) then put the swaybar back on without stacked plates, and use a good pair of swaybar disconnects on it. My money's with JKS Quicker Disconnects...or it was until I removed the bar entirely. I'm actually thinking about going back to a swaybar though because of rubbing issues onroad..

Jim www.yuccaman.com
96 XJ 4.5" RE6130 33x10.50 BFG MTs

as for the sway bar, im at 4.5" lift and have driven with it connected and have driven without it connected. i can honestly say that i DO notice a difference with it disconnected. more sway and need to go much slower when cornering. i like the way the xj handles with it connected, much better steering and response.

after spending thousands of dollars on lift components, wheels, tires, bumpers/skids, gears...., i doesnt make sense to me not to spend $130 on disconnectes or $10 to extend them.

ive always looked at that if you get in an accident with a lifted jeep with a higher center of gravity, that the first thing that you will asked in court is whether you have a front swaybar.

accidents happen and just because you drive carefully, others do not.

the negative effect of not having the sway bar connected before i lifted my xj were even worse. even though the negative effects arent as bad with it lifted, there still enough to keep me connected.

i personally think some people think its cool not to run a sway bar. sorry, but thats how i feel. even with higher spring rates, a sway bar connected is safer than not connected.

i keep mine connected b/c the RE gen II discos that came with my kit are crap, when i have some cash im gonna get JKS disco's. i think every jeep is different though, mine was ok disconnected on the road but i was just much more cautious.

xjohnnyc said:
Whether you run a front sway bar or not, NOBODY should ever advise SOMEBODY ELSE to drive without one. That is irresponsible. There are other factors that each individual has to take into consideration.

Old fart off the soapbox now.

X2

For what it is worth all of the work truck packages(or at least all of the ones I have seen) offered by ford, gm, and dodge dont have sway bars from the factory. I definately can tell a difference without sway bars. I dont have them on my xj anymore, it sure does keep me alert while driving.

Back