• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf springs

bobmarly123

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I'm replacing the stock leaf springs and i knew it was going to be a day filled with f-bombs but I thought I would have to be under the car before they started, I was wrong.

Does anyone have a good way of getting the Bushings into the leaf spring eye.
In the service manual there is a way but it is not working for me. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Take springs to someone who has a press is the best method

Get a long bolt. Place a large washer over the other end of the spring eye. Then use an impact to "tighten" the bolt and the bushing should press into place.

It would be a good idea to lube the bushing so it slides in easier.

Blaine is correct, I used a large eyebolt and a couple of large fender washers as well a piece of 1/8" plate
m2005.jpg

also throw the bushings in the freezer for a day or so if you have the time it constricts the metal a little bit and makes it easier to get them in

I poured some acetone on the ground and lit it up with the leaf eye in the middle of it.

I wedged a couple of screwdrivers in the gap of the curl of the leaf eye to open it up and then I took a 5lb sledge and a piece of wood and smacked it right in.

Then used a deablow to set them up right.

Back