• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np 242 won't engage 4 low

lostNdallas

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I have to say that y'all have been an immense help with saving me some scratch working on my jeep. I previously had a '79 Bronco Camper Special with a 3 inch lift and 33's and a shoehorned Lincoln 460 backed by a C6 slushbox and a rock solid NP205. I loved that truck but 8mpg is rough in these times. My XJ will get a consistent 16mpg in town and 22-23 on the highway.

Is there a trick to getting my NP242 into 4L?

All the high gears work but won't shift below neutral. I checked the linkage (all 24 inches of it) and adjusted it so the lever tops out on 2H evenly but I can tell there is more movement of the linkage but the TC won't shift.

On a side note, I've been considering the AW shift kit and was wondering if anyone here has tried one.

Have you tried pushing the lever inwards because it is not always a straight pull downwards depending on yrs.

Trans in neutral, rolling at ~2-3mph? Is it grinding? Are you pulling the lever around the notch below neutral?

CantonXJ said:
Trans in neutral, rolling at ~2-3mph? Is it grinding? Are you pulling the lever around the notch below neutral?

I've only tried it while stationary. I haven't tried it while rolling. SHould I?

That is how it needs to be done in some cases. Mine won't shift into 4Lo when stationary without a little rocking. Just be sure you are going very slowly, like 2-3mph.

CantonXJ said:
That is how it needs to be done in some cases. Mine won't shift into 4Lo when stationary without a little rocking. Just be sure you are going very slowly, like 2-3mph.

Thanks, I'll try that on the way to work.

Just remember that asphalt, corners and 4Lo don't mix.

Have you checked the fluid in your T case. Mine does that if it is low. Dont ask me why but it does.

cherokeedriver420 said:
Texas is the armpit of the united states

Perhaps but if the World were to receive an enema, Washington is where the tube would go. :p

Thanks for the replies. It needed to roll just a bit and clicked right in. The NP205 never needed to do that... or I just never noticed it before.

*Incidentally, my first choice of places to live would be back in Colorado, Arizona, and third would Oregon or Washington. Terrain is awesome up there. Texas would be somewhere around 10th or so.

lostNdallas said:
Perhaps but if the World were to receive an enema, Washington is where the tube would go. :p
:roflmao: :roflmao:

I've visited TX and with the exclusion of Houston and the D/FW area, I can honestly say that I'd almost rather live there than here in CT. This place is without a doubt, a wallet-emptying, frozen-arctic wasteland. If I could, I would re-locate my company almost anywhere else. The cost-of-living here is absurd! Although I must say, the house I bought in '99 for $275k is now appraised at almost $500k. Sux for property taxes, but not a bad investment.

I'm glad the rolling trick worked for ya!

Dave

We are getting one of your Connecticuters...Connecticutians...Connecticu...

one of yall escaping the tundra in the summer. Buddy of mines GF is moving down from somewhere up there. I lived in Milwaukee for 8 years. That was 7 years too many. Not to mention my ex-wife still lives there so it still gets pretty cold.

4WOR just had their Ultimate Adventure down here in some cool spots but there is little public land. most all good wheeling is privately owned and at least four or more hours from here.

Back