• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake problem can't figure it out (searched)

cajun01

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone. Bought my jeep 97 with abs 4.0L and started having problems.
Replaced rear end with XJ D44 and all hardware on rear brakes are new minus drums. Also replaced master cylinder and proportioning valve with used one. New front pads. Bled brakes multiple occasions. Been searching for weeks on ideas.
Now here is the problem. Rear brakes seem to stick forward and reverse usually after sitting. Not a constant drag, but more drag..stop..drag..stop. Assumed it was the prop. valve. Also, brake the pedal is soft. Assumed, master cylinder.
Now i'm running out of ideas. Next idea I have is the abs, since it was disabled.
Do I need to bleed the abs pump at each line or take it out. Just trying to see if you guys have had these two problems caused by one part malfunctioning.

Thanks for everyones help it is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely Chris

Are you sure you got the leading and trailing shoes correctly oriented?

Drums are most likely out of round. Have them machined if there is enough material left, or replace them if they're oversized.

Did you replace the wheel cylinders too? They're almost always siezed.

Back