• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
I started having a problem with my right rear turn signal about 6 months ago. When I decided to take a look (I figured a blown bulb), it started working again when I hit the lever to raise the tilt steering wheel. Sure enough, I had to raise the tilt wheel in order to get the rear right signal to work. For the past couple months, even this doesn't work. I'm pretty sure a wire is pinched somewhere at the pivot point in the steering column. I checked AllData and it looked like a real PITA to take the column cover off. Does anyone know if there is an easier way to access these wires?

Possibly unrelated, I got in my Jeep a few times and everything controlled by the multi-function would not work. I played with the connectors and wires under the dash and it started working. This happened about 8 times and hasn't happened in in about 1 month.

Thanks for your replies.

Not sure what type, it's probably easier than the air bag ones though. It's a '91 with the tilt wheel. AllData says to take the steering wheel off and then use all these special tools to disassemble the column from the steering wheel down.

Should be a GM column. It's not an easy thing to fix (sorry). First, and easiest (if any of it is easy) I'd check the turn signal wires under the column to make sure the plug hasn't come loose a bit making for a bad connection. When you tilt the column up, it pulls on the loom through the column (not to say that you haven't pinched a wire) but I'd check that first. If that's not it, then you will have to disassemble the column (pull the wheel with a puller, pop off the plastic lock plate cover, use a lock plate commpressor to take off the snap ring). At that point you'll be at the turnsignal switch. Check the wires at the switch also. Otherwise, you'll need to disconnect and pull the turn signal switch out of the column. Here's a link that might help. http://buickperformance.com/tiltsteeringcolumnwobble.htm This link is to an older GM column (Saginaw) but they haven't changed that much in the 20+ years i've worked on them. Just some subtleties here and there. (NOTE: in the link they show a metal lock plate cover held on by three screws. Yours will be plastic and will snap off)

Follow the directions and pull the switch and repair or replace the switch.

Tips and/or Options:
  1. Once you're at the switch and you have a tester (and have removed the three screws (holding the switch in place) ,Turn signal arm linkage (one screw) and the Hazard light knob (one screw), "gently" pull the switch over the shaft (it will come due to slack) so you can access the contacts (might be easier). Use an ohm meter or energise the switch with the key (being carefull not to let anything get grounded) and check which wires are which. Once you've determined which wire is broken or suspect, make a jumper (or use an ohm meter) from that point down to where the wire comes out of the lower column just to confirm the breakage.
  2. Once that is determined, and you DO have a pinched broken wire, You can either fish a new wire up through the column and by-pass the break ,(the use of a stiff piece of piano wire works great), Or pull the whole switch out (see Link) and replace it.
  3. If you pull the whole switch out, make sure you tie a piece of string to the plug end prior to pulling it out, then re-tie it onto the new wires/plug of the new switch. That way you can just pull it back down the column cavity into place. The other option would be to cut the existing wires off of the switch (after having unplugged them from the other end) and use those to pull the new wires into place.
  4. Also, as I recall, the plug on the opposite end of the turn signal switch is flat (that's what you have to fish down inside the column). To aid its travel down the column, it helps to turn the connector 90 degrees and tape it to the wires to keep it in place. To help you visualize it, think to the letter "T". The horizontal part of the "T" being the connector and the vertical part being the wires. Tilt the connector paralell to the wires and tape it. Tie your string or hook your piano wire to it at this point. This makes it much, much easier to get it down the column without it hanging up on something.
Hope that helps a bit and good luck!:thumbup:

Edit: (1) When you pull the switch up, it helps to push in the hazard button switch in, this aids in pulling it out.
(2) Check also to see if your emergency hazard lights operate that turn signal bulb since I believe it's the same circut?
(3) After removing 2 of three screws from the switch, push downward on the switch (turns the right-hand turn signal on) to access the third screw.

Last edited:
Back