• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix tune up this weekend anyone wanna help??

silverslk

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

One of my friends just picked up a 90 or 91 renix XJ waggy from his grandpa. It runs like shit and I told him it needs a tune up (plugs, wires, cap/rotor etc) I also figured it would be good to adjust the TPS, (trans shifts up way early) and whatever else you do on Renix 4L's. I don't know how to do any of that other stuff (having a HO) so I was wondering if anyone would like to swing by and help out? Don't know for sure maybe saturday or sunday.

Thanks,
Andy

silverslk said:
Hey,

One of my friends just picked up a 90 or 91 renix XJ waggy from his grandpa. It runs like shit and I told him it needs a tune up (plugs, wires, cap/rotor etc) I also figured it would be good to adjust the TPS, (trans shifts up way early) and whatever else you do on Renix 4L's. I don't know how to do any of that other stuff (having a HO) so I was wondering if anyone would like to swing by and help out? Don't know for sure maybe saturday or sunday.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy, realisticly a tune up is plugs, wires, cap & rotor. If it is running like shit start there and see what happens. Also check the oxy sensor and the fuel pressure.

Also the renix I believe is 87-90.

Tims was running like hell as well and taht was the basic tuneup and then we smogged it and passed with flying colors.

Give me a call if you have any questions.

Leep

Also, check all the vacuum hoses.

One more important thing ................ DON'T GET WATER IN THE ENGINE!!!! :roflmao:

LOL..

E

Leep said:
Andy, realisticly a tune up is plugs, wires, cap & rotor. If it is running like shit start there and see what happens. Also check the oxy sensor and the fuel pressure.

Also the renix I believe is 87-90.

Tims was running like hell as well and taht was the basic tuneup and then we smogged it and passed with flying colors.

Give me a call if you have any questions.

Leep

Ok so its a 90.

I have been searching in OEM tech and the TPS will give it the low power and weird shifting. I would like to adjust it but can't seem to find a detailed description on how to do it.

silverslk said:
Ok so its a 90.

I have been searching in OEM tech and the TPS will give it the low power and weird shifting. I would like to adjust it but can't seem to find a detailed description on how to do it.

Not sure how to adjust it. When I looked at mine I did not see any adjustment tabs on it at all.

Does it have a low or high idle ?

silverslk said:
It idles REAL low around 400 or something if I remember. It also upshifts at 4400ish with full throttle.

Mine was at the same idle, I bent the metal tab just a bit to adj the idle. But when I did the tune up of replacing all the old crap I needed to bend it back.

As far as the shifting, dont know what to tell you there.

Leep said:
Mine was at the same idle, I bent the metal tab just a bit to adj the idle. But when I did the tune up of replacing all the old crap I needed to bend it back.

As far as the shifting, dont know what to tell you there.

Add a third pedal.:D

Still up for my place in the morning?
Give me a call in the am to let me know... Just finished up cleaning out my moms old apartment... That woman never threw anything away!

yep..

that chrome still shines through mud also.

silverslk said:
LOOK!!!! :twak:

Haha

Yoo still rolling on Chrome Tim??

Back