• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

plastic gas tank cover

bigmcgiv

NAXJA Forum User
i have a gas problem when i fill my tank. i get bad fumes. i went to the spring shop to have my springs replace last week and they jack the back of the jeep up and gas leaked out so they didnt replace my springs because gas + torch = boom. so i have this plastic sheild around my tank and i belive it rotted my tank out on top by trapping mud and stuff up there. alse i belive there are 2 vents up there. it could be them leaking too. my question is should i keep the plastic sheild or junk it. thanks matt:us:

take the plastic piece off
find and fix the problem
sand and spray paint tank or use POR-15 if rusted to badly
put plastic piece back on

It's a good protectorate against rocks.

However if you have a gas tank skid (metal) I do not really think the plastic shield is necessary, as it solely becomes a mud and salt trapper then.

well i put the new tank in i had 3 seam leaks and 5 holes from pin hole to pea size in it. glad thats done. damn it was cold out 4 hours in 25 degrees with wind. burrrrr.

well i filled the tank and i still have a small leak it must be in the vent tube. i still get fumes inside of my xj. so it got to come down again. hey does any one need a tank change just see me i do 3 times before its right. damn

Yeah, fuel injectors is a good possibility for interior cabin fuel smell (since the cowl is not too far away)

If you were getting fumes from the tank inside of your XJ, I'd have to guess you had some pretty big holes in your floor.

I used to get fumes in the cabin real bad, replaced fuel filter that was leaking and that fixed most of it. Had to replace all the rubber part of the lines at the tank to get it to go away totally.
I would leave the plastic tank cover on.. When I replaced my straps I treated them with Zero Rust to prevent future rust, also put a thin coat of anti-seize on the nut and threads.
The two valves that you mention on the top of the tank are there in case of a roll over, the grommets can rot and can be purchased if you search long enough, the two places that I used to get hard to find parts from no longer handle them.

Back