• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering questions

crashxxx

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wondering what a track bar actually does?

My 98XJ that I just picked up has a weird steering thing going on. I'll try to describe what it does as best I can and maybe someone can advise with their knowledge.

it drives straight, doesn't pull to one side or the other. however, when you start to turn it feels like one side starts turning then the other side turns.

example: turning left it feels like the left wheel turns first then the right seems like it catches up. almost like they aren't turning at the same time.
there is a bit more wear on the inside of both tires than the center or outside of the tread.

the only part that I can think of that may be a problem is the track bar (only because I don't know what it really does). sorry for the real choice newb post.. i gotta start somewhere.

thanks
rob

the track bar controls lateral movement of the axle. its also known as a panhard bar.

i would start with an alignment. inside edge wear is from the toe being out of alignment.

as for the trackbar, check the bolt at the axle mount of the track bar. if it is loose, the front end will move to the side before the wheels turn when turning the steering wheel.

if your track bar was disconnected, the axle would rip the control arms off when you go around a turn and your axle would no longer be under your jeep. im saying that the bolt that holds the end of the trackbar to the axle mount may not be tight enough. i dont know the torque value of the bolt, but its at least 80-90lbs of torque or as tight as you can get it.

find where the trackbar bushing fits into the axle mount and tighten that bolt as tight as you can with out snapping the bolt.

My stock trackbar bolt is so tight that I can't get it to budge with an impact. I will be torching it off this weekend. So I'm skeptical that it could be loose.

If one wheel is turning before the other I would suspect worn TREs (tie rod ends) or ball joints. If you get it aligned at a reputable shop they should notice if your TREs are worn out. You can check it yourself by jacking up the front end, grabbing each front tire at the 3 and 9 O'clock positions, and checking for movement. They should be tight. On mine, if I push hard enough I can move the steering wheel but there is no play.

thanks much guys. as soon as we have a break in the crappy winter weather I'll be jacking it up and checking everything you've suggested. along with the alignment.
i don't have it plated and on the road yet, i have a few other bugs to work out too.

if u can snap some pics of the steering that might help if there is something obvious - otherwise check all your bolts, ujoints and tre's and go from there

well.. just wanted to follow up with this one incase someone was experiencing similar issues.

I took it in for an alignment and they got that all squared away. it now drives totally straight, the steering wheel is bang on back to center and the MAIN problem with what i described was going on with the steering turned out to be a round hole that had ovaled out... :rof:

on the pass side where the track bar (pic below isn't mine, posted to show where i'm talking about)

not sure how or why it had ovaled out.. but it had. the shop that did the alignment welded the sucker in place when everything was straight on the rack and viola .. problem solved.

my question, for future reference, is that plate or bracket or whatever it's called replaceable?

jeeptrackbar.jpg

Back