• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP Xj dies then starts again.

4x4Fox

NAXJA Forum User
I have a problem. I have taken my 93 XJ on a couple of trails (Naches Pass and Kaner) with no problems. I ran to the gas station the other day and it dies on me. I lost all power. I looked for loose wires, but found none. IT would turn over but wouldn't fire. Then it started. I drove it a short distance and it did the same thing. I got her home and can't figure this out. Its starting now but what now. I thought fuel pump? Automatic stop relay heating up and kicking out? Anyone had this happen...any ideas??? Thanks everyone...

Last edited:
Hey i have the asnwer to your problem mine did the same exact thing your doing. The problem is the coil wire. The one that goes from the connection point on the side of your wheel well in the engine compartment to the top of the distubutor. If it dies again and then it just turns over and wont start wiggle the coil wire and it will start right up. I still havent changed my coil wire or figured out where exactly the loose connection is, so mine still dies just like yours every now and again. I just get out wiggle it a little and it starts right up. It might take a few tries or the easiest way to do it is if you have a friend with you, you wiggle the coil wire and have your friend turn it over and it will start no problem.

Thanks guy I will check for all the above. My coil wire is only about 4" long short little sucker. The crank sensor is that the one lokated on the driver side of the tranny?

langer1 I was driving and lost power, I can't remember but I thonk all the guages still worked. I eas able to coast over o the side of the road. I do not think any of my service lights even came on. At first I though my fuel pump went out, but it started again and got me home, just before I got home it sputtered and then shut off as I went around a corner. I was able to restart in nutural. When I got here home she shut down again. It starts now but haven't given it much road time.

Sounds like the CPS mine did the same thing it was the connector had worked loose. you will find the connector by looking on the driver side upper bell housing you will see the CPS bolted to the housing with 2 bolts just trace the wires up to the fuel rail you should come to a connector.

Ron

Hey man Like i said mine is and was doing the same thing. For some reason everytime i take a sharp right turn at a moderate speed the truck just dies but as long as i keep my foot on the gas it kicks back on and goes with out me having to pull over and trying to restart. but the times that i did have to pull over cause it didnt come back on i just wiggled the coil wire and it started right back up. When mine diesw all the gauges, radio, everything goes off, then magicly it comes back on. I had a friend who is a mechanic say if he had to guess he would say it is actually the fuel pump getting ready to go out. Im not sure exactly what it is. But if you find out how to fix it let me know and vise versa. Good luck!

Alaska will do. I'm getting ready for school to start so getting the class room ready now. This weekend though its mine. HoRa!

Ron Thanks I will check. I seen that on the bell housing I thought it was a oxygen sensor. God what every happened to the good old days without all these electrical parts. Change your plugs and wires and the car would run forever..Haha

Back