• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dome lights dont turn off

DansGreyMj

NAXJA Forum User
Recently my dome lights stopped turning off, I already replaced the door switches, and when I close the door they dim but the dont shut off. For a temp fix I pulled the fuse, but i would really like to fix this. I'm thinking that maybe the headlight/dimmer switch is out. Has anyone ever had this problem before?

OK dumb ? time. You checked to make sure you didn't turn the dome light on with the dimmer switch and not notice it right. I ask cause I've done it and not relized it. The light is controlled by the neg. signal. Unplug your door switches(2 for a 2door, 4 for a 4 door) one at a time. One of them should turn your light off. Might just be a bad connection at one of the switches to, or even though they are new, a bad switch.If you have a hatch light do not forget about that switch(I cant remember if thatll turn the front one on to).

well its in an mj so its only 2drs, but the stay on even with the switch off, they just dim a little, thats why i think it may be the headlight switch but ill check the door switches when i get a chance

I put a couple squares of laminated cabinet trim(parents had some leftover) on the pass. side door to get mine to turn off.

scottmcneal said:
On my 89 i had to clean the rear hatch switch... Now they work. My 2 cents today
I agree. On both my '89 and '96 the hatch switch OR rear dome light switch stopped working. I replaced the '96's dome light button with a little toggle switch and now can turn the interior lights on and off at will (if the doors are closed) from the back.

Had the same problem with the interior lights not going off. It turned out to be the rear door latch on the tailgate. I had to replace the whole unit and it was not hard at all.

Alex

well its an mj there is no rear hatch

Back