• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Vent Problem - Heat Only Out Windshield

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
my feet are freezing!!!!
gotta a prob w/ '00 xj heater vents. seems that no matter what position you put the knob at to control where the heat somes out, the heat only seems to flow through the windshield defrost.
maybe the vacuum lines became unplugged from behind the dash?

anyone have any tips on checking this out?
i am not too familiar with cherokee but had a 90 yj for years maybe its got a similar setup.
thanks

2000 still uses vac controls right? If so most vac controls have a default setting to the defroster. So ya I would check those out and check the vac. ball under the hood.

does cruise control work on vacuum also? from the same line/source?
because lately my cruise holds but slowly drops mph.

That'd be a vac hose leak. Look at the hoses going to and from your vac ball. Likely one's broken, corroded. Should be a slam dunk fix.

Have you solved the problem, dumbagain? Was it a vacuum hose leak? The very same thing just started on my '99. The check engine light came on at about the same time. I doubt one thing has to do with the other, but I'm no mechanic. Any help would be much appreciated.

it was as simple as everyone said.....thanks!

i think when i put in the new battery i smashed the hard vac line coming out of the vac reservoir up by the bumper. got some rubber tubing, connected it and the vent doors and the cruise control both work great now!

side note: dealer wanted $40 for new vac line, $2.20 for tubing at auto parts store

thanks everyone!

I haven't yet taken the time to trace the vacuum tubing. The weather's been fine, so I haven't much cared about air not coming through the vents. But I did notice the other day that the cruise control isn't working and I thought it might be related. Thanks for confirming that.

By the way, I learned not to ignore the check engine light. It was telling me that the crank sensor was defective. I wish I had followed up on that before my rig died in rush-hour traffic on the way home from work. I will never ignore the check engine light again. I will never ignore the check engine light again. I will never . . . well, actually, to be honest, I probably will.

Back