• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for help (OEM Driveshaft removal)

Mully

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I need to change the Ujoints on my 96' XJ, and I have found alot of help with the replacement of the Ujoints. But, I haven't found any decent articles (or ANY for that matter), on the removal of the Front and rear driveshafts (most of the Ujoint removal tutorials begin with the driveshaft already removed).

Any help would be appreciated (maybe a nudge in the right direction)

jas

Last edited:
Welcome!

Go to your local library web site:

Here's the link: http://www.myjdl.com/databaselisting

Notice that you have free access to the Chilton manual.

Now all you have to do is take your rear on down and get yourself a library card.

===

Amazing how the "power of the internet" works, huh? :D

(It's not. So, I had to break the link. Sorry!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I got a copy of the Chilton Manual. I didn't have a library card, so I had to go out and get one. But, after that, it was quick and painless (finding the manual).

jas

the front is simple ... havnt done the rear ... just be prepared to fight the uni-bearing

spare bolts an a BFH where needed

the front comes or with 8 5/16 or 8mm bolts. There are straps on the axle side and on the transfer case side they go into the yoke itself. The rea is similar take the 4 bolts and straps off. Then you need to get the clamp off on the T-case side on the boot and just pullit off. You will be amazed at how easy the rear driveshaft just slide out once the clamp is removed

Mully said:
Ok, I need to change the Ujoints on my 96' XJ, and I have found alot of help with the replacement of the Ujoints. But, I haven't found any decent articles (or ANY for that matter), on the removal of the Front and rear driveshafts (most of the Ujoint removal tutorials begin with the driveshaft already removed).

jas

may i ask how much mechanical skill you have? im not trying to be rude, but the easy part is removing the drive shafts. if you have difficulty with the u-joints, it may be worth while to remove the shafts and take them to shop that does ujoints.

89xj said:
may i ask how much mechanical skill you have? im not trying to be rude, but the easy part is removing the drive shafts. if you have difficulty with the u-joints, it may be worth while to remove the shafts and take them to shop that does ujoints.

I wouldn't say I'm a "mechanic" or anything, actually I'm not even remotely close. But, I can do the job if given proper instuction. The general theory of removing the driveshaft I get, I was just looking for a good source for instruction. You've got to learn "hands on". That's the only way. I'll never know how to do it until I do it myself. I had been studying many posts on replacing the UJoints, but they all started with the driveshafts removed. that's why I started the post in the first place.

As for my original question, I got ahold of the Chilton Manual, and have studied it closely, as soon as this blizzard is finished, I'll start pulling out the Driveshafts, if anyones interested, I'll take pictures and post the process.
jas

Mully said:
I wouldn't say I'm a "mechanic" or anything, actually I'm not even remotely close. But, I can do the job if given proper instuction. The general theory of removing the driveshaft I get, I was just looking for a good source for instruction. You've got to learn "hands on". That's the only way. I'll never know how to do it until I do it myself. I had been studying many posts on replacing the UJoints, but they all started with the driveshafts removed. that's why I started the post in the first place.

As for my original question, I got ahold of the Chilton Manual, and have studied it closely, as soon as this blizzard is finished, I'll start pulling out the Driveshafts, if anyones interested, I'll take pictures and post the process.
jas

grab a rachet with an 8mm socket and gitterdun. it's really easy it takes me longer to find the 8mm than it does to get a driveshaft out.

If you don't have 4 jack stands......Please lock your jeep down before you remove your driveshaft.. Put blocks in front and back of tires that your not removing shaft.... Be safe first..

scottmcneal said:
If you don't have 4 jack stands......Please lock your jeep down before you remove your driveshaft.. Put blocks in front and back of tires that your not removing shaft.... Be safe first..

Yeah, it's been "blocked" with cinder blocks for a few months now. I won't need jackstands since my XJ has a 4" lift.

Thanks for everyone's help, I'm not really as retarded as I sounded in earlier posts, but try typing anything with a 2yr old hanging off your arm and see how easy it is to get a point across.

I will be using much of the knowledge I have gained through this thread.
jas

for the rear... just un bolt the harness's it should pull out easy after that, then you will have a tie strap around the rubber boot in the fron of the rear shaft its a little tricky but a side to side wotion will loosen it up if you dont have plyers handy. then it slides right out. if you take 2 blocks that area similar in height and put shaft on that so that ears are facing up and down, pound on the thickest part of ear with hammer. dont be afarid to hit it hard, just hit a little below the welding on the shaft bar itself. if the u joint caps dont fall out or they are rusted in there then...... you buy some pb blaster. spray the end caps on the ears of shaft. prop up on wood. get a socket that just fits inside of the earhole on top of the endcap for u joint, and hit it hard. u just will fall out after that, or it should. good luck on the front ones those are a pain in the ass...

I know how to remove the driveshafts and everything, but does anyone know of a good tool to take the bolts off a lot quicker for the front driveshaft at the T-Case? I use a just a regular wrench but it takes forever.

Reason is because my driveshaft vibrates on the highway, but is fine in town. So for now, I wanna be able to take it off for highway trips.

jas

I did this in march and struggled without a press tool. Got this tool from a jeep club member and all u-joints was done in 2 hours. This tool I guess is original for BMW.

1a1809ff-8d03-48dd-bcce-57e3cef18b72.jpg

e7a263de-67b0-47d1-a600-6b0af7f1d50e.jpg

I know how to remove the driveshafts and everything, but does anyone know of a good tool to take the bolts off a lot quicker for the front driveshaft at the T-Case? I use a just a regular wrench but it takes forever.

Reason is because my driveshaft vibrates on the highway, but is fine in town. So for now, I wanna be able to take it off for highway trips.

ratcheting wrenches FTW

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200309451_200309451

I use a 1/4 drive ratchet and extension. Removing the front is easy enough that I do remove it for long trips. Not for vibes, but for mileage. I got my best mileage ever this way on a 500 mile trip, 21mpg, with 31s, 4 people, and a lot of luggage.

Back