• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny problems

Gnat5680

NAXJA Forum User
so i went to a road that is flooded and had was under constrution. (don't worry i was ok to be in there) it ahd a lot of dirt in the water and was fairly muddy to. i played in there for a while and then left. i went to another road and had some more fun. after that i was driveing home covered in mud and noticed that i can accel. fast and if it doesn't drop into the next gear before i lift my foot off it makes a bad engine braking noise almost like a grinding. i was wondering if i should get it flushed and filled or what? i am due for it and i need my axles and t-case done too. what do you think?

Flush and fill all fluids after water crossings...grease up everything else that needs greasing.

I'd replace the fluid. Any time you go through water/mud half the height of your tires, it's a good idea to check all your fluids for contamination. I don't have an auto, so I can't comment on that, but changing the fluid in the axles and t-case is really easy.

Check to see if your TPS sensor is working correctly. Also if your going to have your trans flushed make sure they replace the filter. Most places will flush your tranny and wont change the filter cause the flush doesnt include the filter, it's a little more money.

Gnat5680 said:
is there a write up on the t-case and axles?
T-case: park Jeep on a level surface. Put a container under t-case. Remove fill plug; remove drain plug. Let t-case drain. Clean drain plug and re-install. Fill t-case with ATF until it runs out of the fill hole. Clean and re-install fill plug.

Axles: put a container under the differential. Remove all the diff cover bolts except for one at the top, and give the cover a little tap to one side to break the seal. Let diff drain. Remove cover completely, then scrape, clean and dry both gasket surfaces. Apply RTV sealant to cover, put cover back on and finger-tighten the bolts. Wait an hour and tighten the bolts to proper torque. Remove fill plug and fill with 75/90 gear oil (with additive for a limited-slip if you've got one) until it runs out of fill hole.

Specific capacities for both should be in your owners manual.

Back