• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Burn Valves

I have a general engine rebuild question. I am fairly mechanically inline, but have never rebuilt an engine. I have the chance to pick up a inline 6 4.9L Ford Pickup that has some burn valves, is there any good books, sites or info that would help me understand what needs to be done in both a burn valve fix and a rebuild so I can figure out if I want to do it.

I could e-mail ya some info. But you need to find the root cause before ya rebuild it.

Burned valves are essentially caused by the valve not closing fully, and therefore not being cooled. Find out why the valve is binding (if it's an OHC engine, it's probably due to cam lobe/valve stem/tappet wear. If it's an OHV, throw in sticking lifters/pushrod wear/rocker arm wear/rocker ball wear/rocker pivot screw stretch.)

Tearing down the engine will usually help you to find the cause.

As far as books - there are some good books on general engine overhaul available (check Motorbooks, HP Publishing, Bentley Publishers, and that sort of thing) and you can also find books that are targetted toward engine families - like your "Ford Modular/Triton" engine you're looking at (the "Modular" is the passenger car version, and the "Triton" is the truck version.) I've got a few of those as well - Chrysler Small Block, Chrysler Hemi, Chevrolet Small Block, Chevrolet Inline Six, and the like.

Try out your Google-Fu using some of the names I've given you above. If you're still stuck after that, hit me backchannel and I'll give you some sources after a bit of kicking around myself.

Oh - try Summit or Jeg's for ideas - they probably carry those books themselves. If not, they'll at least carry other books, and you can get names of publishing houses from them (that would cater to the performance/engine overhaul aftermarket and hobby anyhow.)

Back