• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 Power Steering fluid all foamy???

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I've been having off and on power steering problems for the past year or so. When it gets really cold out my PS starts to whine a LOT and even feels like the power steering is gone for a few moments upon startup. Then the power steering comes back and works, but the whine has been getting worse and worse the past few days.

I checked the fluid level today and noticed the fluid is full of foam and bubbles. I know this isn't good. Also the whine was horrible when I started up the XJ after work today and it took a good minute for the power steering to actually work.

About 2 months back I added some Lucas Power Steering Additive to the PS fluid that was suppose to help quiet whines and stop any leaks. Could be a fubared my PS unit when doing this.

Any suggestions? Will I have to replace the PS unit or should I just syphon out the old fluid and add new fluid?

I've seen that people here have had problems w/ NAPA PS Units so if I need to replace, where would you recommend getting one?

Thanks all...

Last edited:
OK... so I've checked online the 3 main parts houses around me... Autozone, Advance Auto and Napa... all three have reman PS Pumps... the thing that I don't understand and please help me out here...

On all of their websites they list the PSPump w/OUT the reservoir as being more expensive than the SAME PSPump W the reservoir. Can someone explain that to me? I would think getting a new reservoir w/the pump is a good thing and less risk of breaking or not getting a seal w/replacing the PS Pump.

What are your thoughts and suggestions. Anyone have any experience w/this? Thx.

Back