• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator overflow 'nipple'

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
I was changing my water pump the other day & when I removed the overflow hose from my radiator the little plastic tube went with it. The tube felt brittle inside the hose as well, kinda like it dry-rotted?

Anyways, my Jeep seemed to be cooling just fine before the waterpump went out, and I'm not wanting to replace my radiator right now, so what solutions can yall come up with to fix my nipple problem?

This is a 93 XJ, stock cooling system.

jfiscus said:
I was changing my water pump the other day & when I removed the overflow hose from my radiator the little plastic tube went with it. The tube felt brittle inside the hose as well, kinda like it dry-rotted?

Anyways, my Jeep seemed to be cooling just fine before the waterpump went out, and I'm not wanting to replace my radiator right now, so what solutions can yall come up with to fix my nipple problem?

This is a 93 XJ, stock cooling system.
Could you try to tap out the hole and install a brass barb in it? I know it's plastic and all but I would think there's a chance it would work. Maybe put a little JB weld on the threads?

Blaine B. said:
How far did the nipple crack? All the way off?

yes, all the way off to the main "tube" where the radiator cap is located.

I was thinking of installing a tapped tube but was not sure if the clearance was there with the cap being right next to it.

Mighty Putty!
but seriously, i was at Ace hardware and bought some generic epoxy putty and i was somewhat impressed, the stuff does seem to work. the tube was a little under 5 bucks.

I used a little piece of metal tubing. Worked fine and lasted until the radiator itself went bad. Because of limited space, you're best off taking a little piece of brass or copper tubing and threading it directly with a screw thread, rather than getting one with a pipe thread base. A straight thread will work fine. It's not under pressure, so you also don't need a barb at the end as long as the hose fits snugly.

Back