• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

License Plate Light

cjd_1986

NAXJA Forum User
So yeah I get pulled over coming into my complex last night. Turns out my license plate light is out. I figured ok w/e I'll just go to AutoZone tomorrow and get a new bulb. Well, I did I got a 2 pack and tried both bulbs yet neither will light up. I also checked the fuse box. Not only did I check the fuses pertaining to the back but to be on the safe side I checked every one and made sure none were blown. They were all fine. I made sure the slots that were open we're supposed to be open. The wiring on the head where the bulb comes out is fine, it looks good, it's clean, and isn't pinched or ripped at all. Now I am wondering what the hell is making this thing not light up before I have to rip the liftgate apart. The socket the bulb goes into is fine as well the copper looks brand new and there are no obstructions or debris in there. What should I do?

I would check the socket with a test light, just to see if you have juice, then check the fuse panel to see if that fuse spot has juice,and if not start working your way through the wire testing it and looking for breaks.

Thats how I would go at it
-Steve

Forgive me for a Captain Obvious moment, but you did try the LP light with your headlights or running lights on, right? I am not questioning your intelligence here, just asking a question in case you overlooked something simple.

Broken wire at the hatch pinch point? JIM.

I'll have to break out the DMM tomorrow but I pretty much already assume that it's not going to read anything from where the bulb would go otherwise it'd light up. Gonna probably have to take it in to get looked at. I'm wondering if when I got the new hatch put on last year if the guy at the shop didn't hook everything up. I mean the rear windshield wiper works but the sprayer doesn't though you hear the motor working. I might just take it back there and have them fix it. I think though if I had the light out since last yr I would've been pulled over. I know I've had cops behind me at night since. Maybe they didn't notice and this one only pulled me over cause it was Super Bowl night. Would've had a reason to try and get me with a DUI but it really doesn't work so I have to get it fixed. Since it was the first notification of course I just got told it was out. If it would happen in the future now with my knowledge of it I could possibly get a ticket similar to having a brake light out I'd assume.

Back