• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing non-powered doors w/powered doors?

smcdonaldaz

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '93 2-door sport with power nothing. Would it be easier to convert the doors I have(or even possible) or find 2 powered doors and fit them to my rig?

I'd leave them be. Anyone I know that has power anything does nothing but complain about them. YRMV....

Hale

If you have power nothing now and want power locks and windows then you may want to look and see if the wire harness is in the right kick panel. You may have fun wiring it without it.

i bought an after market kit that came with everything needed to convert to power windows and it has worked flawlessly for 6 years. i dont have power locks though and have no need for them.

89xj said:
i bought an after market kit that came with everything needed to convert to power windows and it has worked flawlessly for 6 years. i dont have power locks though and have no need for them.

I more interested in the locks so I can add keyless entry/alarm. Where did you get the conversion kit?

I added power locks and keyless entry to my '93 2dr about a year ago. Obviously not everyone agrees, but for me the power locks are a closer to a necessity than a luxury.

It seems to me that adding an aftermarket kit would be way easier than finding, matching, hauling and mounting two heavy doors.

There are plenty of kits/components around. I got mine in a kit from Parts Express for about $40. It included four actuators, wire and hardware. I used two on the doors and one on the hatch leaving a spare. I used two momentary up/down rocker switches from Del City for control. They require a bit of Dremel work on the door handle panel or bezel, whatever it's called, to mount. The result is very unobtrusive and not unattractive to me but I assume you could track down some OEM panels with switches if you prefer an original look.

The locks have worked flawlessly except for a couple of sluggish unlocks for the passenger side in the cold (what we call cold) weather. You do need to lubricate the mechanisms while you have the interior panels off. I did not do any significant research prior to purchase so there may be better alternatives out there. The kit came with very minimal instructions so you are left on your own to figure out how to mount the actuators. Takes some patience but not really difficult.

Back