• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case linkage problems

MPETESS10

NAXJA Forum User
why does my t-case linkage keep popping out.
it started off as a problem that surfaced only when wheeling and flexing but now its a constant problem even on the street.
there is a stationary bracket bolted to the side of the transmission and it has a hole in it with a green grommet and park of the linkage goes through this grommet.
well on mine the part of the linkage that goes through the green grommet keeps popping out and UI constantly have to get out and fight with the linkage and manually engage or disengaged 4wd and then try and pop the linkage back where it needs to be.

I know I cant be the only one with this problem.

my jeep is basically stock except for a 2" BB
its a 99 4.0L 5spd XJ with a 231 case

PLEASE HELP. I got stuck saturday on a patch of ice on the side of the road because I pulled over to pee on a road trip and the front tire was just off the pavement and had a hump it needed to go over and the rear tire was on ice. I grabbed for 4wd and when I pulled the lever it went straight into 4wd NUETRAL.
I had to climb underneath and engage 4wd by hand pull off the ice and then get back underneath to put it back into 2wd. I was never so embarassed by a vehicle in my life

The bushings come individually, not in a kit. I believe there are five and you'll want the green plastic bushings. There is also one small bearing and gasket. The bearing is held to the body with two hex head cap screws.

On installation the bushings need to go into the linkage and bell crank in the correct direction, there are recesses the bushings sit in, or they will stick out and cause interference in the motion of throw of the rods. Maybe the green bushing on your's was installed incorrectly. The large part of the bushing sits in the recess, or in other words the bushing is installed from the recessed side through the linkage.

Goatman recommended that I replace the linkages with small heim joints, jam nuts and threaded rod to fix the slop and the rattle in the linkage at stop signs/lights.

Also replace your transmission mount at the same time. The problem is probably not just the one item, but the sum of the total wear on the bushings, bearing and mount.

Good luck,
Tom

Last edited:
carnuck said:
I'd say broken trans mount too. (maybe really sloppy motor mounts too)

That was my thought as well. Grab the xfer case and yank side-side and see if there is a lot of play. You don't have a xfer case drop installed do you?

Anybody actually replaced their bushing? I worked for a good 20 minutes yesterday trying to get that guy on there and NO luck at all. Any suggestions?

nightfoam said:
Anybody actually replaced their bushing? I worked for a good 20 minutes yesterday trying to get that guy on there and NO luck at all. Any suggestions?

I've never done it, this is the way I would do it.
I'll get a pair of channelocks (boarhogs, waterpumps) and a small socket.
Put the socket on the side the bushing will pop in after installation, open the boarhogs to the proper opening put the bushing on the opposite side of where the socket is and squeeze.

Back