• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheels and tires?

djorndor

NAXJA Forum User
i ordered wheels that have a 4 inch back spaceing whould that be enough for 33 12.50's under a 4.5 inch lift. all i care about is hitting my lower controle arms im going to cut everything else out. and one more question how bad is my gas milage going to be with stock gears and about how would it run. be as discriptive as possible because im getting the tires on sat and i have to know if im going to stick with the 31's or go back to the 33's i tried to fit before i bought new wheels. thanks

With the 33's on that 4.5" lift you're going to need to trim the wheel wells or you're gonna have rubbage and get stuffed going over speed bumps...I run a 4.5" lift with 31" A/T's, as far as gas mileage goes... probably around 13-14 around town depending how I drive. I also need a tune-up. Can't answer the gears questions, haven't done mine. Still running stock. Need to re-gear though (once I gots the $$)

djorndor said:
will the 33 12.50's still hit my lower controle arms with a wheel that has a backspaceing of 4inchs?
Yep. But you set the stops on your axel so they don't. You can go less back spacing like I did but you put more stress on ball joints. I think for desert pounding that may not be too good. I tryied to get this site to host a Jeepspeed section but you will have to search out race forums for complete discussions of rules and what works. Tons of great ideas came out of Jeepspeed racing. Are you trying to race or just play?

Stumpalump said:
Yep. But you set the stops on your axel so they don't. You can go less back spacing like I did but you put more stress on ball joints. I think for desert pounding that may not be too good. I tryied to get this site to host a Jeepspeed section but you will have to search out race forums for complete discussions of rules and what works. Tons of great ideas came out of Jeepspeed racing. Are you trying to race or just play?

Where does he say anything about jeepspeed anywhere?

djorndor said:
play and i just ordered 4 inch backspaceing so does that sound like enough
Sorry i mixed you up with the Atomic jeepspeed dude. As far as backspacing it gets talked about a lot. I think they are mostly wrong and defend what the shelled out cash for. I like low and wide to keep center of gravity low and give you a solid wide feeling on side hills. I ordered the least amount of backpacing I could get in the rim I wanted. If you can change you order then change it. With a tire that is 12.5 it will never tuck under you fenders any way so the wider the better. It has a slight effect on steering to go wider but it's well worth the extra stability. If you are stuck with the rims you can buy wheel spacers. I put them on my rear to make it wider and I feel like it will slide before it will tip. You can set your steering stops but then it's a hassle to turn tight or you can be wide and be able to u-turn better.

Stumpalump said:
I ordered the least amount of backpacing I could get in the rim I wanted. If you can change you order then change it. With a tire that is 12.5 it will never tuck under you fenders any way so the wider the better.

What kind of crack are you on? ;)

35x12.5, tucked under the fender, not rubbing the LCA. 16x8 with 4.5" backspacing.

IMG_0160%20(Medium).jpg

I run 33x12.5x15's on my 4" BS steel wheels. With MT/R's the lugs rub on the driver's side at full lock. A less aggressive tire would not hit and more agressive would probably hit more.

I need to recenter and locate my front axle a little better and hopefully I will rub less.

Not sure it helps you or not, but it is not uncommon.

Good luck!

Hit a hard bump straight on and the tires wont flex in at the top. They come straight up and hit the fenders. Yea you can bumpstop the hell out of it but you still won't have the stability of wide.

Stumpalump said:
Hit a hard bump straight on and the tires wont flex in at the top. They come straight up and hit the fenders. Yea you can bumpstop the hell out of it but you still won't have the stability of wide.

I landed hard enough here to break my bumpstops, and put the shafts of my bilstien 7100's through the top of the shock body. My tires cleared the fender fine.

jumped2.gif

As far as stable goes? I drive 80 on the freeway and 65 through the whoops on the desert and it feels as stable as my honda civic. Having .75" less offset in the wheels doesnt make it measurably more stable at all.

Even the JV buggy guys mostly run 4.5 to 4" backspacing.

ok thanks im going to be running Traxus tires the sand ones that not many people like. they arent agressive at all so i hope they will be ok. im getting the tires put on at 4 wheel parts and they talked me into 31's with stock rims but now that i ordered these new wheels with the 4 inch back spaceing im going to try to see if they will put the original tires i had ordered there on, which were 33's. they are allready at their store so i dont see why they couldnt. anyone think different.

bandit455 said:
sorry to hijack

cal what bumpstops are you running?

I was at that time running stock uppers with extended rubber from poly performance, and hocky pucks screwed together as a lower.

Now I have ACOS uppers (without the adjuster, just as bumpstop) and a 3.25" aluminium lower with a .5" rubber pad on it.

IMG_0162%20(Medium).jpg

djorndor said:
all i care about is hitting my lower controle arms im going to cut everything else out.
I see you point Cal but this is what he said he was looking for.^^^ The less offset the less lickly he will hit his controll arms.

Stumpalump said:
I see you point Cal but this is what he said he was looking for.^^^ The less offset the less lickly he will hit his controll arms.

If I'm not hitting my control arms with 35's and 4.5" backspacing, why would he hit his with 33's and 4.5" backspacing? I don't have modified steering stops - I turn sharp enough that I had to grind my axle shafts; the ears of the inner would hit the ears of the outer.

I'm also not saying that less would be worse, but to say that people here are mostly wrong, and that he should take what he bought back, is incorrect.

ok it sounds like ill be ok with 33's im going to get them as long as 4 wheel parts lets me have those back and not the 31's they talked me into. the 33's are still at their shop so it souldnt matter. and my backspacing is 4 inch so i should be ok thanks.

I run mine with 3 1/2" of BSpacing, without any LCA rubbung issues. My tires won't stuff, but articulation isn't a priority for me. There isn't exactly a lot of rock crawling out here. Kinda hard to find a big rock at all. I run it mostly on soft sand (beach) and mud.

Back