• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where is the track width measured from???

atomicjoe23

NAXJA Forum User
I want to build a JeepSpeed/CORR/Desert Racing inspired Jeep Cherokee and I need to figure out where the factory measurements for track width come from so that I can figure out what size fiberglass flared front fenders to get (6" or 8") and so that I can match the front and rear track widths.

Does the factory measurement of 56" come from measuring from hub face to hub face (I'm assuming that's a good place. . .would be right about the center of a tires section width if the wheel doesn't have custom back spacing right?)? If not, does anyone know where the reference measurement point is from?

Along with this. . .how much width would be added to the track width from the hub face (if that is where the reference point is for track width) for a 35x12.50 tire mounted on a 10" wide wheel on the vehicle.

Thanks guys. . .I'm new to the off-roading scene so I appreciate all your help/responses!

74.5" wide measured from the widest point on the tire. Front and rear. A 12.50 tire is about 12.5"at it's widest point. So if you had 5" backspace on an 10" rim it would add 12.5 to the width of 56" or 68.5. 3" backspacing would yeild another 4" or 72.5. 1" wheel spacers will get you to 74.5 but the measured actuall width of the tires may vary a little and I'm not sure how the inspectors measure. They probably have a jig set to 74.5 or just use a tape. Check my math.

Track is measured from the centre of one tyre to the centre of the other. It is not measured from hub face or Wheel Mounting Surface ( WMS ) to WMS. The XJ for instance has a 60" WMS to WMS but the factory track is less due to the offset of the rims being positive 1.5" each side.

Back