• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
ok i'm an idiot i know.. having major electrical issues. battery dies every day that it sits, charge and dead the next day.

how do i use a mulitmeter to measure amps. what do i put it on.

also i'm sure you are to disconnect a terminal and hook up dmm between disco cable and the post..

am i wrong or right?
and if so which terminal and cable do i check it with?

stxcherokee said:
ok i'm an idiot i know.. having major electrical issues. battery dies every day that it sits, charge and dead the next day.
Sounds like it's time for a new battery. These things don't last forever.

stxcherokee said:

also i'm sure you are to disconnect a terminal and hook up dmm between disco cable and the post..
You don't wanna do that. You'll blow a fuse in your meter.

Major electrical issues? You didn't describe anything but a dying battery. Are there other symptoms you're not mentioning?

X2 what cndlpwr said.

i use my multimeter on the batt all the time, never blown nething...guess in just lucky

ok sorry.. little more detail..

brand new red top optima.. alt. works fine, battery charges fine. seems i have a short somehwhere or something staying on.

if it's any consolation.. my turn signals and hazards don't work either.

how do i check amps being drawn, and start pulling fuses to find the one that's drawing the juice is what i need to know. so i can find my problem..

you were right hook meter between discoed neg cable and neg post put meter on amp scale and start pulling fuses unless you have an amp clamp that just goes around the wire

If its drawing more than 10AMPs you may blow the fuse on you multimeter. Just remember its AMPS DC. The clamp meter is the easiest but not the most accurate. You need an ahmeter.

stxcherokee said:

am i wrong or right?
and if so which terminal and cable do i check it with?

Hallo. Why using a multimeter,when you can also do the simple test with a bulb? Only very expensive multimeters like Fluke are fused in the right way.
At least the 10 amp. post. Do testing with a bulb and a few leads between the neg. post of the battery and the carbody.:idea: good luck

Back