• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting front axle back in

Jeff1

NAXJA Forum User
OK..I've read all the threads about replacing control arm bushings and how the biggest PTA is putting the axle back in and connecting the control arms.
The axle in my 95 is hanging freely, sitting on jacks, no springs on yet, with new bushings.
What is the best way to get everything back in? Am I going to have to attach a strap or come along to it just to maneuver it into position for the CA bolts to line up? This seems to be a common problem.
I was planning on reinstalling my springs, lining them up under the bump stops, raising the axle and installing the CA's on the body first and moving the axle into position to line up the bolt/holes. Any suggestions?

id start with frame mounts first then axle mounts, then springs, its easier to move the axle around than move around the entire heep when it comes to lining them up. use a ratcheting strap and a long pry bar to help line up the axle as well, with a high lift on the front bumper and a floor jack on the axle you should be good...

I had the control arms on the axle, set the axle on a jack stands, put the coil springs in place, and then used a floor jack under the axle. A bottle jack on the control arm mounts and wrecking bar were used to tilt and move the axle to get the control arm bolts lined up. Upper arms first, then the lowers. Don't tighten anything until all the bolts are installed.

Last edited:
ive removed my axle today and replaced it with a new one (ZJ) GRAND CHEROKEE LTD 1997 but im a bit unsure about the cocentric bolts that pass through the longingated holes in the axle below the coil spring can anyone tell me what these bolts are supposed to do, there looks like theres degree marks on the horseshoe that they pass through but not sure !

ive removed my axle today and replaced it with a new one (ZJ) GRAND CHEROKEE LTD 1997 but im a bit unsure about the cocentric bolts that pass through the longingated holes in the axle below the coil spring can anyone tell me what these bolts are supposed to do, there looks like theres degree marks on the horseshoe that they pass through but not sure !

Cam adjusting bolts to adjust caster?

Back