• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Tank Seal

higherelevation

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my fuel pump. I filled up with gas and the tank is leaking. Is there a secret to seating the seal on the sending unit? I don't want to waste anymore fuel.

Thanks

I have done this twice. Both times I dropped the tank. I did not trust my chances to get the inlet tube and sock in the correct position by manauevoring the critter with the tank installed. I did not do anything exotic with the gasket. Just cleaned it and the metal surfaces it seals.

I am just wondering if the cold temps in AK affect the sealing interface from rubber to metal? That rubber has got to get very hard and brittle with the cold.... Bill-93XJ

I have done the work in my garage with the heat on so it has been warm for the seal. The seal looks good. When I try to install everything it must have shifted. Thanks for the information.

use the oem seal, the aftermarket ones don't compare and shift very easily

I just went through hell and back with those damn seals!!! What I did was get rubber gasket sealent and placed it around the o-ring itself then put it on the tank directly. After letting it sit the recommended 2 hrs i put the pump in and then the locking ring and it sealed perfectly! I actually like the new thicker seal better than the old one!!!
hope this helps:gee:

Back