• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange noise from dash when A/C is on

95RedCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my Climate control yesterday because the old one stopped working for some reason. A/c blew nice and cold, but I need to replace the resistor in the blower motor relay to get anything below the HI setting to work. The blower motor also make a lot of noise while blowing, but I have read that if you drill a small hole where the shaft is, you can put a little 3-in-1 oil in there and seal it up and it will be fine.

So today, I drove the cherokee and used the A/c all day. Noticed it wasnt very cold in the afternoon. So I went to a friend who had some R134 with the pressure gauge. Put some in it until it got to the top of the full area (blue). Now, it is making a groaning sound when I'm at idle, but if I give it a little gas, it goes away. This only happens when the A/c is on.

Can someone clue me in as to what may be going on? Thanks!

im guessing to add a little oil to the mix but wait to see what some one eltz says. as for the blower motor. on mine there is a hole in the bottom with a hose on. but mine didn't work at all. so i took it out. filled the motor with wd40. and beat the he11 out of the shaft with an aluminum pole. all the sudden squeak squeak. it started spinning. right now it works like new.

Mixing oil to what?The compressor? How do you do that?

Anyone got some ideas to what this is? Maybe it is over full and causing pressure buildup at idle??? Oh, and it didnt get any colder after the recharge either...Why is that?

95RedCherokee said:
Mixing oil to what?The compressor? How do you do that?

Anyone got some ideas to what this is? Maybe it is over full and causing pressure buildup at idle??? Oh, and it didnt get any colder after the recharge either...Why is that?

Because it wasn't low and now it's over full.

I've never heard of over full but then again it could happen. and the oil is available at the store you bought the freon. its in a little can and you fill it through the low pressure side like the freon.

check the pressure with the A/C on and the out side temp and i will tell you if it is in spec.

Be careful with adding Oil again you need the Correct amount, to much oil will also cause big problems, the least of which is your system will be full but still low on refrigerant

Well, the AC blows on MAX at about 45 degrees and normal at about 50 degress. Still makes the noise every now and then. Is there a way to relieve some of the pressure to see if that helps? You add oil to the same line as the freon?

90xj06 said:
I've never heard of over full but then again it could happen. and the oil is available at the store you bought the freon. its in a little can and you fill it through the low pressure side like the freon.

check the pressure with the A/C on and the out side temp and i will tell you if it is in spec.

how do I check the out side temperature?

oh. Outside temp. Got ya. I thought you meant the ou side temp fo teh freon. I noticed that something was labled OUT when I was putting the freon in yesterday. I'll do this Friday and get back to you on it. Thanks!

well I checked it yesterday and it was about 75 outside and the pressure was at about 35psi. I took it on t a trip to get a car for a friend and tow it home. On the way up tehre the fan stopped turning on, so the ac no longer worked. I'm thinking it is a fuse problem, but I havent had time to check yet.

Why the hell doesnt the Jeep have a fuse diagram anywhere in it? I had to buy a manual from autozone to get a diagram...

Back