• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"What year", buying an XJ ???

rick1355

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking at buying a new used (2000 to 2001) Xj for a daily driver / weekend warrior. Will be running 31 to 33's on a 5.5" lift. I think I would like an automatic this time. Questions....(1.) Is the AW4 a good tranny ? (2.) Will the rear dana 35 or 8.25 hold up. I know you could install a super axle kit but is that good enough ?? (3.) Low front pinion dana 30..... is it junk ? I know i can pick up a high pinion 30 for $ 100 bucks or less for a swap out. (4.) Did the optional towing package get you a larger radiator and tranny cooler ? (5.) What Xfercase is better 242 or 231 ? Every time I call on a low mile XJ some one has beaten me to it. Last Question........... I have found a real nice 2000 XJ, http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/561715519.html 102,000 miles for $ 3999, one owner, garaged kept, no scratches or dings. Like new inside and out,its super nice but is a 4x2. How easy is this to convert to a 4X4 ?? I do have skills but have never converted a 4X2 into a 4X4 . Any one who had done this conversion feel free to chime in. Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks , Rick

This is all a synopsis from what I have found out on here and a little personal experience:

1.Yes, mine has 220k under it ( and I dont think it was taken care of very well) and it still runs fairly well

2. The 35 should be fine and I've heard the 8.25 can be a little better, but if you arent doing anything hard core with them you shouldnt worry. I've heard that 33's or so is all the D35 will stand ( no 35's)

3.No clue.

4.As far as I know, NO. But I have only dealt with the older model 1989-1990 XJ's

5.I have a 231 and I would like to know this answer too. I have a D44 under mine and I think it's stock so I would think with a better axle I would have a better transfer case. I wanna say the 231 is better but dont know. I do however know that if you run the 231 completely empty for a good while it has no ill effects (so far as I can tell).

As far as I know, you just have to get a front end and the transfercase and driveshafts. Plus you have to link them up. In the factory it was the option of pulling out part "a" or part "b" to put on the Jeep to make it 4x4 on the assymbly line so it shouldnt be too hard. Donor XJ's are everywhere. there is likely a thread on this somewhere.

This is just what I have learned from NAXJA forum and whatnot. Don't quote anything I say cause the moment you do, it'll be wrong. My advice however on the year is to get one that's pre-97, just a personal opinion, but....I think they're better. Can't beat em.

--Alex

pre 99- but at least a 96

look for the 4.0L, Aw4 Auto, np 231

Those years would have an hp d30 which is stronger and offeres better clerence and have new axle shafts which take a 297 u-joint which is similar size to the d44. I would look for one with the 8.25 but a 96 will have the 27 spline and a 97-99 would have the 29 spline. I ran the 27 spline locked with 33's and never have had any problems. You can run it unlocked with 35's. If you get anything later then a 96 plan to do an sye at anything over 3".

Go get a 99. Thes have all the amenities that you will want on the road and all the parts that you will need to build an offroader.

1.yes its good
2 depends on how hard you wheel it but yes for most part
3. only if going over 4.5" lift or rockcrawling
4. tow pack does give you a tranny cooler no rad upgrade that i know of.
5 242 over the 231 if you live in an area that gets snowy roads.
you can put it in full time and it doesnt care if your going down the highway on snow or asphalt. a 231 you cant run on asphalt.
been using mine alot around here lately, its great for the blowing snow across the entire road.

is it worth 2000.00 to swap to a 4x4? you should be able to get a clean 2000 with 100000 for 6000. i paid 6800 for my limited with 86,000, 6 months ago

Thanks for the info, much appreciated to all............. (I now have a jeep dealership on the job to help locate a nice rig. :party:

a stealership?!?!?!?!?! dude you gonna get robbed!!!

i paid $650 for my 89 & it has the 242j t-case, 240k on it now, no problems. not sure about the tranny , d30 (front) & d35 (rear) are stock on a lot of jeeps but fairily easy to swap out.

$4 grand for a 2000 with 102k ?? unless all the work has already been done to it ...no way!!!

JEEPS are built, not bought!!!!!!! (hence why mine is still mostly stock....lack of funds :D )

Clean Mud said:
Go get a 99. Thes have all the amenities that you will want on the road and all the parts that you will need to build an offroader.

Yeah. I've been looking for a second '99 every day for a year now and I have had no luck. I think finding my current '99 in such good shape and well priced was...well, inspired.

Back