• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building Adjustable Uppers

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I can't seem to find anyone selling adjustable uppers so I think I might just build my own...

Rusty's sells a whole bunch of stuff that looks good for building some.

I figured I'd get a couple of the Control arm bushing loops, some 1" ID tubing from somewhere (what size wall should I get?), the 3/4" studs, and 3/4" tube inserts...

For the axle end I was thinking some really thick square tubing and I would just cut out the bottom of one end to attach to the axle and boxing in the other and welding on the stud at that end.

Any input? Or anyone selling adjustable uppers?

You need drop brackets anyway!

1. Buy some DOM tube of your size choice from a local metal supplier or an online source.

2. Buy some threaded inserts, and some brand of flex joint end(Jonny Joint, RE, ect).

3. Get some measurements, measure twice, cut once. Weld in threaded inserts, or have the tube direct tapped.

4. Screw in flex joint. Mount to upper CA mount.

5. Bend some metal for the mount on the axle end, burn on to UCA.

6. Paint pink.

god, people just dont have common sense do they? why do you think I'm asking about making them or buying some used ones..... $$$$$??????

And as of drop brackets. It's right b/w 4.5 and 5" and it rides perfectly fine, so I'm not spending the dough on drop brackets.

Anyways....

What thickness tubing is recommended for this... How thick of metal should I use for the axle end?

ty20404 said:
god, people just dont have common sense do they? why do you think I'm asking about making them or buying some used ones..... $$$$$??????

And as of drop brackets. It's right b/w 4.5 and 5" and it rides perfectly fine, so I'm not spending the dough on drop brackets.

Anyways....

What thickness tubing is recommended for this... How thick of metal should I use for the axle end?

You failed to mention that you wanted to buy USED ones or that $$$$ was an issue! Before you question everyones common sense, you might try explaining yourself a little better next time.

blahblah.gif

You asked for input, people gave you theirs.

Looking at your post history tells me you might want to start with an easier welding project,not with control arms.With steel prices the way they are I dont see saving much money if done right.JJ's alone are about 40$ each.

CanMan said:
1. Buy some DOM tube of your size choice from a local metal supplier or an online source.

2. Buy some threaded inserts, and some brand of flex joint end(Jonny Joint, RE, ect).

3. Get some measurements, measure twice, cut once. Weld in threaded inserts, or have the tube direct tapped.

4. Screw in flex joint. Mount to upper CA mount.

5. Bend some metal for the mount on the axle end, burn on to UCA.

6. Paint pink.

I think a chartreuse or a mauve would be nice this time of year.

Back