• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember Bolts

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
I read on here that there are access holes in the floor to get to the welded nuts inside the uniframe rail. Can anyone verify this with the year of their XJ? I would like to know before I pull the carpet and seats up. Thanks a million.:D

Don't know of any. Most people with broken bolts just cut in an access "Window" into the frame with a side grinder or a hole saw so they can reach the new bolt or nut.

I ditched my carpet a few months ago so I'll look for access holes for you tomorrow in the daylight.I need to know also because one of mine is stripped.....two birds with one stone.

outlander said:
I ditched my carpet a few months ago so I'll look for access holes for you tomorrow in the daylight.I need to know also because one of mine is stripped.....two birds with one stone.

Thanks, mines a 1990, so they should be similar.

my 99 does not - i had to cut a window with a hole saw, put new nut in, tack it good and put in new bolt and weld windown back in - TWICE!

my 2 door 92 had drain holes close to the bolts,but they weren't close enough that I could get a socket and extension on,so I just cut the holes a little bigger and got to the nuts that way. my floor is pretty rusty anyhow,so it wasn't real hard to cut the floor.

my 98 didn't, but now it has a large one. :D Something good to know is that if you get into deep enough water, it comes through that hole!!!!!!

KSXJ said:
my 98 didn't, but now it has a large one. :D Something good to know is that if you get into deep enough water, it comes through that hole!!!!!!

haha! since i have my carpet out i might do this as preventitive maintenance...

Timber said:
How big did you make (or how big are the existing, in 92xjsp's case) windows?

Just regular drain hole size. That's big enough to put a ratchet wrench through (the kind that fold out), then to get leverage I had to put vice grips on the end of the ratchet wrench.

Also, they're in front of the seat, so no seat removal necessary.

If you look close you can see part of the nut through the hole in the one that's open.

xmemaccess.jpg

Here is the type of ratchet wrench I'm talking about, I'm not sure what it's called.

ratch.jpg

Back