• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

True trac or lock right?

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
89xj 5spd ba10, soon to be 8.25 rear with 456's. Only a dd in bad winter weather. other then that trailered and local trails. My axle mechanic (dragster baracuda in the 9's) not into offroading says a true trac only in the rear will be enough for me to go through some shit. And leave the front open. So i dont understand what is best for me. I read this http://www.tandjperformance.com/products-driveline-lockers.htm
and all i see as a difference between the two is the true trac is a mechanical drivin that doesnt lock up 100% and doesnt clunk and doesnt reduce tire wear. The ezlock or lockright, locksup 100%, clunks, wear down tires faster, takes getting used to(im guessing it locks up in corners when u give it gas)

I plan on sand dunes and deep mud. So what would u reccomend guys. They are only about a 100$ different? Should i put something in the front axle locker wise or what?

Any comments appreaciated

thanks

I asked my buddy the other day about the different types of detroit lockers and he said go with the straight detroit and not the true-trac and etc.
He said that a true detroit will make you as happy as can be.

ask yourself this question... do you want the rear axle locked? The trutrac is a limited slip.. and IMO worthless.. BUT, you way you're going to be wheeling sand and mud... so a locker may not be your best bet anyway.

i guess i dont know how bad it is to drive a locked rear? how is it.
So u think true trac just in the rear would be good enough?

uncc civilengineer said:
ask yourself this question... do you want the rear axle locked? The trutrac is a limited slip.. and IMO worthless.. BUT, you way you're going to be wheeling sand and mud... so a locker may not be your best bet anyway.
It's either locked or it's not. Anything except a real locker and you will regret it off road.

They drive fine on road. I had a tru-track in the front, it was a good tight open diff lol. When it broke I went with an ausie locker. I have a lock-right in the rear and an aussie in the front. No complaints at all!

Look at a Powertrax no-slip. It's made by the same folks as lockright but has much better street maners. I hardly ever feel mine but could always tell the lockright was there. A trac lock or tru-trac is just a clutch pack in the rear that will slip when you go over the first little obsticle.

A Tru-Trac is a limited slip differential.
A Trac-lock, Lock-right, Ausi locker, detroit are all positive engagement lockers. (Edit, See RCP Phx fix below)

Limited Slip differentials work on the principle that if you have one wheel stuck and one wheel free, the clutches or slipping device will supply some power to the non-moving wheel. Since the differential never locks, the differential action is maintained when you corner. Good on-road, poor off-road.

Positive action lockers, lock both axles together when you add power, and unlock them from each other when you let off the gas. So If you have a wheel with no traction, an one with traction, all the power from the drivetrain will go to that unspinning wheel, untill the other wheel also gets traction, then the power is divided between the two drive wheels.
When you go around corners under power, there is no differential action and one wheel will be dragged along. Great for off-road, poor on-road.

If you do tight mountain roads in the winter, invest in a selectable locker.
Otherwise in Sand and Mud? Lock it.

Now for the front.
Front lockers are Great!, but you have to judge some things first.
Those things are:
That a front locker is a lot harder on axle shafts than an open diff.
That the Jeep will tend to understeer (plow) in the loose stuff and mud.

I have a Rear LSD, and a Front Locker. I like it most days, especially off-road.

Last edited:
I run an Aussie locker in the rear of my XJ.Been awhile now.Gets sideways easy when wet out.Snow sucks.But it gets down offroad.I drive it daily.NO complaints.
--JACK--

Zuki-Ron said:
A Tru-Trac and Trac-lok are limited slip differentials.
A No-slip, Lock-right, Ausi locker, Detroit,Ox,and ARB are all positive engagement lockers.
Fixed it for you.

Back