• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slave Cylinder and Clutch Replacement

Eric96Xj

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys. I have an '89 Xj sport with the ax-15 and my slave blew out. the truck has been sitting for about 6 months but i'm finally going to fix it. I'm going to put a clutch in it at the same time. My question is where do you guys get your slaves and clutch kits from. I dont' need anything fancy, just a cheap oem style replacement. Also is there a difference in these parts between the BA10's and Ax-15's ??

how do you guys go about this when you do the job?? i'm thinking pull the driveshafts, exhaust too maybe?? tranny x-member, leave the x-fer case mounted to the tranny and just slide the whole assembly back just enough to access it or do you completely drop the tranny out of the car. i was thinking supporting it with a tranny jack and just sliding it back a bit might work?? any advice is welcomed thanks

Get your Hanyes book and fellow that. Go to Local parts store and get a clutch kit. Runs about 190 bucks. But comes with everything even the pilot bushing, and clutch install tool. Kits are same for both trannys.

Pull the whole tranny. Replace the pilot bushing install clutch/pressure plate and reinstall. Check tranny shaft seal for leaks good time to replace if nessecery.

how are the quality of the aftermarket slaves?? the slave cylinders are the same for both trannies as well because i swear i once seen a listing somewhere stating separate ones for the ba10 and ax-15. only reason i'm askign is because i always have so much trouble with auto places giving me the wrong part for the application i'm working on.

i totally don't wanna do this job just because i have'nt wanted to put the time into it. I do nothing but work on cars 6 days a week so i usually let my own cars get run down because i don't wanna work on them in my spare time. Like i said this ones been sitting for 6 months. but it has come down to either junking it or fixing it and unloading it. thanx.

For what you seem to want it for just everyday driving and weekend wheeling oem is fine for this. Mine has held up longer than the Puke has. The kits are the same. So just order a kit. Did you swap in an AX-15? I pretty sure if yours is stock you have a BA-10. Either way they are the same kit. But if you are unsure then you can just get a kit for a 92 cherokee which would have an AX-15.

awsome thanx, i'll go get a kit today hopefully then. i just wanted to make sure i would'nt be stuck with wrong parts once its apart.
The jeep is a late model '89 so its one of the lucky ones that got the ax-15.
i'm getting excited to fix this thing because i reallized i really like it. its like the 5th Xj i've had but first one with a stick shift so i gotta keep it going. thanx.

Check to make sure which transmission you have - while they use the same friction, the slave cylinder connections are different (the Peugeot uses 1/4" SAE flare fitting, and the AX-15 uses some variety of quick-disconnect fitting.)

The Peugeot may be easily identified by a longwise 'split' where the case opens up - the AX-15 has a case that disassembles into three sections (not including bellhousing or transfer case adapter.)

The 1989 was a transitional year - early rigs have the BA-10, and late rigs have the AX-15. I think the cutoff was August production, but it's more reliable to just crawl under and have a look at the case itself (rather than the sticker in the door.) You can also check the fitting for the slave cylinder (driver's side of the bellhousing) - if it's a threaded flare coupling, it's the Peugeot. Note that, if you convert to the AX-15 from the Peugeot, you can continue to use the very same clutch kit! And, the early AX-15 pilots are the same size, but the later pilot diameters are larger and will require a different bushing (but the rest of the hardware is the same.)

If you have the Peugeot, a tool to remove the drain/fill plugs can be made by taking an 8m/m or 5/16" hex key and grinding down two opposite corners to make it fit in the square drive socket (it's an 8m/m square drive, but the hex key bit works well - I've done it myself. 5/16" and 8m/m are close enough in size to make no odds, so use whichever is available.)

I also like to replace the pressure plate screws - 3/8"-16 x 3/4" socket head capscrews are what I like to use. Use 1/4"-28 x 1" socket heads to replace your universal joint strap screws - they're easier and better than the reduced hex heads that are OEM.

awsome tip on the pitch and size of those bolts 5-90. I always hate reusing the strap bolts but i do it anyway. It'll be that much easier to go just get new ones knowing the correct size already.

I'm pretty sure that its an ax-15. I've glanced at it and it does'nt have a longwise split, had a horizontal split more looking like a normal tranny. I'll be sure to double check though to make sure. thanx.

yeah i've had mixed feelings with this truck. i bought it last year only because i was able to get it for $300 in perfect running shape because my buddy lost the ignition key to it and did'nt know what to do. I offered him $300, busted the ignition cylinder and drove it away, lol. Drove it for a few months until the slave crapped out. I was half thinking of junking it but i don't have the heart so i think this Xj is gonna be reborn.

thanx guys.

Back