• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auto to manual?

SourApple

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys my buddy asked me if i could take his jeep and make it a stick for him, i told yea i probably could. but i didnt have a real in depth answer. changing the transmission wouldnt be that hard i dont think but i was unsure if i would/could retain the 242 transfer case? aslo if i did change it to a 231 which i think would be best would i have to change the front diff to one from a select trac? if so if it doesnt have ABS will it still work just wont have ABS?

any help would be appreciated thank you

All you should have to replace is the transmission. There was a spline count change on the output of the transmissions around 90 I believe. That would be the only thing you would have to watch out for.

Things you'll need:
Transmission
Transmission mount
Flywheel
Clutch
Hydraulic system (best purchased from a dealer. its a sealed unit from the master cylinder to slave cylinder. Well for the external slave cylinder models anyway which was like 94+)
And the pedals from a manual XJ

You'll also need the transfer case shifter brackets and the linkage rod to the xfer case, stick shifter, shifter mounting plate that sits on top of the tranny tunnel. There's another thread running right now that has much more info. Try searching for it.

you will need more than has already been mentioned.....manual tps and computer come to mind(dont know if an auto computer can be made to work with a stick).I don't think a 242 can bolt up to a manual either.

outlander said:
you will need more than has already been mentioned.....manual tps and computer come to mind(dont know if an auto computer can be made to work with a stick).I don't think a 242 can bolt up to a manual either.

It it's a Renix, the TPS is different, but wouldn't need to be changed as you can just ignore the second connector. The 242 and 231 have the same bolt pattern so the issue would just be spline count depending on what year Jeep we're talking about. The computer doesn't need to be changed, although if its 96 or later it will throw a code when it can't talk to the Trans computer. Hey sour apple how about some more details on what year?

I would think that your friend might be better off selling his cherokee and buying a different one with a manual trans. spend the time you would save doing more worthwhile projects. just my 2 pennies.

It depends on the year. 95 and older autos use a seperate comuter so that won't matter. It gets ouputs from the engine controller but doesn't send any info back to the engine controller.

As for the transfer case as long as the spline count is correct you can use either a 231 or a 242. They both are the same size and use the same driveshafts. You do need the correct shifter for whichever case you use.

Last edited:
finn188 said:
I would think that your friend might be better off selling his cherokee and buying a different one with a manual trans. spend the time you would save doing more worthwhile projects. just my 2 pennies.

Why??? It's not that hard of a swap... To him this is a worthwhile swap and can be done in a weekend including beer breaks.

I bet you think my project isn't worthwhile either...:twak:

I'm swaping a complete '95 XJ 4.0 HO AW-4 NP242 driveline into a '89 MJ that is a 4.0 stick with a 231. I'm also adding power windows, locks, cruise, vanity mirror sun visors, Dakota bucket seats, a complete R134 AC system, a XJ center console, a XJ overhead console, a XJ rear sound bar, keyless entry and splicing 2 MJ cabs together so I can use the 9" longer 2dr XJ doors. I'm also building a custom bed and roll cage. I'm either going to swap in my HP D44/9" combo or my HP D60/14bolt combo using a custom built 3 link....

outlander said:
sounds like a mallcrawler to me:dunno:

I bet that'll get his goat...

No not even close.:roflmao:

I'll have the last laugh when I park on top of your rig.:moon:

Oh, you will need to jumper the neutral safety switch wires, or what ever they are called so the computer thinks the tranny is in neutral or it won't start.

The manual swap has been discussed before you might search around. I know I found some usefull info on this site when I did my manual swap.

its a 95. and we arent 100 percent set on doing it. i just thought that I would ask you guys what you thought

SourApple said:
its a 95. and we arent 100 percent set on doing it. i just thought that I would ask you guys what you thought
Poke around as there is a writeup here in mod tech about how to do it. I know.. cause I wrote it :D

Short version is you'll need the following as indicated
Things you'll need:
Transmission
Transmission mount
Flywheel
Clutch
Hydraulic system (best purchased from a dealer. its a sealed unit from the master cylinder to slave cylinder. Well for the external slave cylinder models anyway which was like 94+)
And the pedals from a manual XJ
If you got a donor vehicle you'll be all set. You also might need a PCM (not sure if the 95 will throw errors when it does not see a TCM or not. Lastly, you can reuse almost all of the wire harnesses but you'll need to ground the NSS wire so that you can start it.

I did my swap from my rolled 98 to the 97 I bought and it took a weekend (doing things slow). Had to drill a hole to mount the clutch stuff but that was about it. Oh yeah, you'll also need the pilot bearing to go to the output shaft in the engine.

TNT said:
It depends on the year. 95 and older autos use a seperate comuter so that won't matter. It gets ouputs from the engine controller but doesn't send any info back to the engine controller.

It's still a seperate computer after 95, but the PCM does check to make sure it's alive on the the OBD-II diagnostic bus. It'll set the check engine light to complain, but otherwise it's not a big deal. You could swap the ECM if you needed to pass inspections (I don't recall if PA req inspections).

lawsoncl said:
It's still a seperate computer after 95, but the PCM does check to make sure it's alive on the the OBD-II diagnostic bus. It'll set the check engine light to complain, but otherwise it's not a big deal. You could swap the ECM if you needed to pass inspections (I don't recall if PA req inspections).
95 is not OBDII. 96 was OBDII.

outlander said:
:bs:
your lighted vanity mirror will shine into your eyes causing you to miss my rig and drive into a ditch:)

In you wildest dreams.:twak:

I'm only putting them in because my MJ ones won't work with my overhead console. I'm not going to buy different ones when these are in mint condition. I have used them on the trail to get dirt out of my eye thou...

:cheers:

Back