• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please help broke nss working on it now

hollyxj

NAXJA Forum User
so I pulled the nss as I was removing it I snaped the thread on the wiper arm. The local AP doesn't sell just the arm only the whole switch.

Since the nss is held on by the 12mm bolt to the tranny what porpous does the the nut on the wiper arm do? it's a slotted keyway so it's not like the arm could come loose or move, so would it be ok not to reinstall the nut and just rely on the bolt to hold it to the tranny?

Also does anyone know if the wiper arm available by itself?

alright I put it back in 2 of the four threaded tabs were still intact and there was a thread or two on the broken ones. I was able to get it on snug and the retaining washer clips in place. I also put a gob of rtv black silicone on the head of the nut to help hold it in place.

Do you think it is ok like this? or should I start looking for the replacement wiper arm?

The collet nut (threaded part) is what retains the switch proper. The screw up top of the switch merely retains the adjustment, it doesn't retain the switch itself.

Since the collet nut is only torqued to 61 pound-inches anyhow (about five pound-feet,) you don't need much. If you've got two opposite "fins" left on the collet, you're probably fine.

And no, you can't get the wiper arm separately...

if only I was that lucky two on the same side remain.

I under stand that the 12mm bolt is technically the adj bolt but really forces does nss endure? what would make it want to move away from the tranny any way?

What do you think about a non-threaded retaining nut with a set screw if it's really ness. I know it could mar the shaft a little but nothing a you couldnt smooth out.

After doing some research and thinking about how nss is attached I came up with the following solution.

I plan on removing the nut around the collet all together, using the 2 fins that broke off and then clamping the whole mess with one of these

twopiececlamponfb4.gif

I'm thinking using a small rubber band to hold the 2 broken fins in place to get the clamp on. I'll post pics if i am successful if not I bought a new nss errr...

hollyxj said:
After doing some research and thinking about how nss is attached I came up with the following solution.

I plan on removing the nut around the collet all together, using the 2 fins that broke off and then clamping the whole mess with one of these

twopiececlamponfb4.gif

I'm thinking using a small rubber band to hold the 2 broken fins in place to get the clamp on. I'll post pics if i am successful if not I bought a new nss errr...

Something like that should work for you - just make sure it's got a flat surface to bear against on the remnants of the collet, and press it on using finger pressure only (no sense in making it too tight.)

I also suggest painting some never-seez on the shaft through the transmission to make the NSS easier to remove next time. Don't put any on screw threads - just the shaft. (I forgot to mention that earlier...)

You might also put up a "parts wanted - busted nss" ad in various places, since breaking the casing when trying to remove it is pretty common. Just specify with a linked picture the parts that need to be intact and offer $10-20.

Back