• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cruise control is dead

lindsay_art

NAXJA Forum User
:arrowr: I have a '92 XJ. The cruise control has not worked for some time now, and lately I've been in the fixing everything mode. does anybody have any ideas on what might be the problem. I buy the parts ,and have my local 4wd shop put them in, becuase I have no clue as to how to do work on my beloved Jeep. My quess is that it is just the switch in the control itself, because I've kept up this Jeep very well, and My Dad (who bought it new) had it before me. I may just have to spend some money on having the problem tracked down.

Thanks,
Lindsay

a lot of times it has to due with a vacuum leak problem. you need to check all the vacuum lines from the CC switch to the vacuum ball in the front bumper

CheapXJ said:
more specifically, the hard plastic vacuum line that runs under the battery tray.

they break, alot.
i replaced mine with thick rubber hose worked great cause it fixed my A/C dampers so the would actuate again. didnt even know it was the problem at the time. but theres no CC in this heep.

There are numerous things that can cause the CC not to function.
Does the CC indicator light illuminate? IF not....
I would start by checking the fuse that supplies the CC.
IF the light illuminates, then you will need to verify whether the vacuum motor is getting signal voltage to actuate when you engage the CC. Also as others have posted.... check the vacuum lines entering and leaving the vacuum motor for cracks.
There is also a speed sensor where the speedometer gets its signal that provides information for the CC to work.... and another sensor to deactivate the CC when the brakes are applied which is located beneath the master cylinder attached to the brake line distribution block.
Hope this helps you to troubleshoot your CC problems.

CharlesS said:
There are numerous things that can cause the CC not to function.
Does the CC indicator light illuminate? IF not....
I would start by checking the fuse that supplies the CC.

i have a little problem with mine sometimes, the light wont come on. i just release the steering wheel so it moves up and down freely and hit it against the top, while the jeep is not moving, then i could usually turn it on. i was guessing it was a loose connection somewhere, because as of late it works every time i turn it on. any thoughts on that problem?

sorry to hijack from OP!

My '91 doesn't have a cruise control light, I bet neither does your '92.

It just works, there's no indication like a newer XJ.

Back