• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How often do you change your spark plugs?

BlueZombie

NAXJA Forum User
I called Jeep up and they recommended I get them changed every 60K miles, but I thought I read that we should be doing them every 30K somewhere else though. I just changed my 2001 XJ with the Champion truck plugs that the majority of you recommend and i'm very happy with them, but am trying to figure out when I should change them again in the future. How often do you guys change your plugs?

I usually change mine every two years and they still look fairly good. I've had them burn off enough electrode to open the plug up to 0.045 (if I forget for too long) and they still worked well.

I have put over 150,000 miles on one set of plugs . By the time I replace plugs there is not much left of them . Most of the time I see people replacing plugs that look and still work great . If you keep your engine tuned and propperly maintained they will last a long time .

I replaced mine last month.. and they were the factory ones.. I've had this jeep for 20k miles and its now hitting 210,000..... there's a long time for ya

I have 73000 miles on my Jeep...it is on its 4th set of plugs counting the originals...
changed them at 30k, 55k, and just last week at 73k
Every time I changed them, my MPG improved by about 20 miles per tank of gas, for the next 8-10 tanks of gas, and then it drops off slowly...so the savings in gas is paying for the cost of the plugs...I am tracking my MPG pretty closely now...and if I continue to get the same results, I will probably be changing them even more frequently as long as it seems to save on fuel costs.

Plugs are cheap, and easy to replace. They have an effect on your MPG also. Why not replace them often enough to maintain peak efficiency ? The non-distributor spark rail in the 2000 and 2001 seems to work the spark plugs harder than other years and I find it best to replace the plugs every 30,000 miles or so.

As most people will tell you, SplitFire type plugs and Platinum type plugs do not work as well in the 4.0 L and the best plugs to run are the plain Champions or Champion truck plugs.

I think i'll keep track of my mileage closely and change them at 30,000 since it's pretty easy to replace them. We'll see how it effects MPG. Thanks everyone.

P.S. -- 2nd Post!!!

Plugs are cheap, and easy to replace. They have an effect on your MPG also. Why not replace them often enough to maintain peak efficiency ? The non-distributor spark rail in the 2000 and 2001 seems to work the spark plugs harder than other years and I find it best to replace the plugs every 30,000 miles or so.

I agree with you 100%...so that is my plan...change my plugs again when I start to see my MPG drop off...

I changed the cap, rotor, coil, plugs and wires at around 80000. I did see a slight difference in the way it ran, it seemed smoother and maybe a tad more powerful., but no increase in mileage. I did use Demon ingition parts and Champion truck plugs. The old plugs looked good and still had the proper gap when I changed them, the biggest problem I had with waiting so long was it was tough to get the plugs out of the head.

Anyone changing plugs- Don't hit your heater core valve too hard when you fawking with #6 cyl. It will break!!! (unless you have a metal renix one)

I've always religiously replaced the plugs every 6 months, and that is on every vehicle i've owned in the last 25 years. Oil is replaced every 3 months. Plugs are cheap, rotor and cap every 12. I've never (touch wood :eek:wl: ) broken down in the middle of nowhere for lack of maintenance. I've had my fair share of flat tyres, broken fan belts and the odd heater hose deciding to let go at the traffic lights, and these rubber parts were on average around 2 years old! I may spend more than most on these little bits, but it gives me peace of mind...

I roll with a Long peice of 5/8 hose:) My prestone flush kit "T" decided to split on me goin down the road.

Just replaced mine last week. It was starting to run a little rough. First new plugs in 2 years and it now runs great again. #6 is a little hard to get to with a lift and being a short fawker, I could hardly reach the bugger but I "got er dun". 'Bout 35000 miles between changes.

Back