• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heim joint steering setup..

xalexjx

NAXJA Forum User
I was going to buy the RK setup but figured hiems would be just as good and cheaper. What are you guys running on the d30 stock knuckles?

Plans so far

1.5" .25 wall tubing
weld in bungs
3/4" male chromoly heims for the knuckle side. What size hole can you safely drill in the d30 knuckle? 5/8"? Im going to drill the knuckles out to that side and run a grade 8 bolt through it with the nut side up. Use a nut to tighten it to the knuckle. The put the heim on that then another nut on the top and tighten each on individually. Is it better to run the drag link from the knuckle to knuckle tie rod or off from the passenger side knuckle. Thanks In advance.

Also any pictures of how you guys have them set-up?

I have been using 3/4 5/8 hole hiems with 1.25/ 0.25 wall dom for a long time now with good luck. Have hit it many times very hard with no problems. Tie rod one side to the other. Drag link on top pass side. Grade 8 hardware for sure. Have been using this set up for 3 years and around 17,000-20,000 miles. Few hiems are just starting to show some wear.

I HATE THAT

That set up is garbage! why run a 4" drop pitman and run the DL over it? tracbar still stock location on axle....:rolleyes:

I would do a simple inverted T chevy 1 ton OTK. Move the trackbar up, and you would have a solid, geometric setup. I wouldn't do heim's again, unless I built some double shear bracketry.

i ran heims on my cj5 but that was a d-60 and i was able to drill 3/4" holes in the nuckles. Just wasnt sure on how big you could go on the d30.

I'd say 5/8" max! A stock pitman drilled 5/8 out and reamed for chevy oneton doesn't leave much !

Back