• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering "pop" troubleshooting

Black Magic XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ has developed a "pop" in my steering. Happens when I turn the wheel either left or right a little. Doesn't need to be set at center, in other words, I could have the steering all the way to the right and turn left a little and "pop". Go back to the right again, "pop". Almost feels like it is coming from the firewall area? Also, seems to be a rattle associated with this as I go down the road... mainly hear the rattle when heading straight ahead... a slight turn seems to make it dampen or go away completely. Will still pop when in motion, though.

In park I opened the hood and looked around at the steering wheel shaft leading to the steering box and turned the steering wheel side to side, but didn't notice a hangup in the movement. Been a pain to troubleshoot.
Ideas? Thanks.

Dave
Jeepicon-1.jpg

Last edited:
Mine made a similar pop when the trackbar mount was a little loose. It took a minor turn of one of the nuts and it went away. It drove me crazy until I found it.

when i had a popping sound in my front end i discovered my frame under my steering box had a little crack in it and one of the washers on the steering box bolt was broken. i then replaced the bolt, nut, and washer, and that tightened it up. noise went away, should've welded the crack but ended up getting rid of the jeep

Back