• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'90 xj, issues with 4wd

SEAKSR

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I found y'all through Pacific Crawlers, via Pirate 4x4.

Here's the deal:

My roommate, who is NOT a wheeler, or jeepin enthusiast picked up a 90 xj from a buddy of ours. Due to the fact that she doesn't know how to drive in snow and ice, I've been the primary driver of said xj.

What I do know about it: 1990, approx. three inch lift on the suspension, Automatic, not stock tires (I haven't had a chance to look at the tire specs, just got it really), and supposedly 4wd. For all other appearances, it looks stock.

Now, as the driver, here is what I've noticed. In 2h, the rear passenger tire seems to be doing all the work. The driver's side doesn't seem to spin. 4h will engage, but not completely, again only the passenger's side, and ONLY if I throw her in reverse for about 10 to 20 feet, and only if I can actually move in that distance.

I'm concerned about the whole drive system, and I'm more familiar with toyotas than Jeeps, and know next to nothing about Jeep. I can get more info about it, if y'all tell me what to look for.

I'm concerned for my roommmate when she decides that she's ready to drive in shite weather, because while I can handle blizzard conditions with a sketchy vehicle, I don't think she can.

Ultimate question: How can I be sure that the 4wd works, and if it doesn't what do I need to look at replacing/fixing what have you.

Also, if any of you are located in Juneau AK, and could come take a look, that would be wonderful!!!

Last edited:
Back