• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NOT ANOTHER LOCKER QUESTION

Well since I have given up on converting to 4wd because of the cost of gearing I figured I would lock the rearend, regear it and see how far that gets me. I have done some searching but can't get a straight answer. I have the 27 splined 8.25 and am thinking about an ARB and alloy usa 29 splined axles... what else will I need besides all the crap to hook the locker up to make it work , for the conversion.... or should I get an empty d44 housing and start from there ? I only plan on going 33's but after searching I realize I wouldn't barely get over a speedbump in the mall parking lot with those gears. I have 31's now and feel the loss of power so I would love to get some of that freeway passing speed back. Also since it is going to remain 2wd what do I need to do about vibes ? Will I be able to get away with having the driveshaft made longer ? or will I even have an issue ?

You may not need any driveshaft modifications. A 2wd XJ has a longer driveshaft (no transfercase, though there is an extension housing on the transmission), and so the angles may not be severe enough to cause vibes.

If you see 33s in your future, I'd go with 4.56 gears.

Go with a No-slip from Powertrax. Or the Aussie which will be available at the end of the month according to an email i received from Torq Masters as i'm doing a locker shootout between the No-Slip and Aussie (8.25, 29 spline).

The Aussie should be a lot cheaper than the no-slip, but not as quiet...but the no-slip is close to the cost for a full carrier detroit these days. I have a no-slip and love it, but if it wears out...detroit here I come.

Back