• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$3000 to make a wheeler...how best to spend it?

Graeme

NAXJA Forum User
I want to turn my stock 2000 into a wheeler on a budget of about 3000. I want it done right, and to be reliable. How much can I get? I am pretty new to all this...this is what I think so far, am I out to lunch?

I am thinking of a 4.5-5.5 inch lift. Which one to get...RE 4.5 or 5.5? What will a "long arm" kit do for me?

New shocks.

I need a transfer case drop kit. Slip yoke eliminator.

I want lots of armour on the bottom.

33's on steelies.

I'll need to do the gears right?

And an adjustable track bar.

What else am I missing? Can I do this for 3000??? Or can I do more?

Thanks for any input!

if your on a budget then go low and cut to fit the tires

look into a 3.5" lift with new packs

yes you will need to regear

do you know what rear you have a 35 or an 8.25?

if its a 35 than i would replace it wiht an 8.25 or an xj 44

wheels and tires are gunna be around $1300, and you will need to upgrade your axle if you have the D35 because 33's will be too much for that axle to handle, gears are about $500 and even more if you get them installed, SYE you can get for $200, Rubicon Express 4.5 in lift with shocks $1200. If you want to do it right i would strongly recomend geting the Rubicon Express lift, it is a littly spendy but it is well worth it, but the wheels and tires are gunna kill you unless you can find a good deal on used ones. ultimately its your jeep so build it how you want, but you will probably need to build it in many stages as most of us have because the price tag escalates a lot the more you get into it. See what deals you can get on used stuff first, and you could save yourself alot of money in the end. Good luck.

so heres a budget proposal

1000 for lift and shocks with track bar

750 for tires and wheels

hack and tap sye and xj driveshaft - 300

skids 400

bumpers 600

all of this is loose and you can buy some parts used to really drop this budget down

Graeme said:
I want to turn my stock 2000 into a wheeler on a budget of about 3000. I want it done right, and to be reliable. How much can I get? I am pretty new to all this...this is what I think so far, am I out to lunch?

I am thinking of a 4.5-5.5 inch lift. Which one to get...RE 4.5 or 5.5? What will a "long arm" kit do for me?

New shocks.

I need a transfer case drop kit. Slip yoke eliminator.

I want lots of armour on the bottom.

33's on steelies.

I'll need to do the gears right?

And an adjustable track bar.

What else am I missing? Can I do this for 3000??? Or can I do more?

Thanks for any input!
The quick answer is no way.

4.5 inch lift 1300

Dropbrackets longarms
Gears 1000
Tires 600
Wheels 100
Axle 150-250
SYE 150-250
Brakelines 30
Shocks Varies depending on quality
lockers

etc.

Just throw on a budget boost and some 31s for now.

EDIT: and a cheap locker!

Last edited:
I would suggest going 3.5 to 4.5 with a decent to good kit, but this is all dependent on what you are wanting to acheive and how your gonna wheel it. As SYE is the way to go and depending on how big and what drive train you have, there are ways to do it on the cheap, if you put in your own labor. You can get a PORC SYE and a stock front drive shaft and run it in the rear for under $250 (if you install it). As far as the lift, I agree with what was stated above, get full packs, you wont be sorry that you did. Wheels are cheap, you can get a set of steelies from places like Summt Racing for under $160 shipped. Tires are a different subject, but if you have a size of tire in mind, try and think if you need the tires, or just want the tires. An adjustable track bar is a must on any lift over a couple of inches. Geaers are nice and I would suggest a rear lokcer if your going to the trouble of getting gears put in. If you set on 33's, then 4.56's will get you back close to stock gearing, 4.88's will get you a bit deeper and better wheelin manners then the 4.56's, but either would make a tremendous difference over stock. I personally would not wast e teh money to regear the D35 (if that is what you have) and I agree with the above statement about getting a 8.25, D44 or possibly a 8.8 w/ dics. I can tell you that you will be suprised how fast $3000 will be gone. You can plan on at least a grand going into gears and installation of them, The sky is teh limit on these things, so make a list and prioritize what you want and what you need and then buy accordingly. But, try and get a good idea of what direction your wanting to go with your build and what items you might consider wanting to upgrade in the future. And last but not least...you do get what you pay for...do go cheap on important parts!

The best idea is to plan well. You may not be able to buy everything right now but still buy quality parts so once you purchase then your done, at least for a while. Just add on as more money is avaliable.

Lift it, buys some tires and wheels, tow points and protection. Wheel it as see what happens.

I forgot to add that as with most any build, you better have a couple hundred dollars in the BEER BUDGET!!! :D

It all really depends on how you are going to use it. Is it primarily a DD or off-road. Do you want to cut out fenders? I've used 4x4groupbuy.com to get my lift kits etc. They have a RE 5.5 short arm kit w/drop brackets (just as good as a long arm imo), it also comes with a sye kit. It is $1500. Go to tirepackage.com and you can make up a tire/wheel package for $800. That leaves the rest of your $ for armor and gears. Depending on your axles, tranny and commute you could maybe slide on have for now. If you have a D35, you should get rid of it. Sorry about the novel.

no, 4.5 will do 33's if he uses bumpstops accordingly...

I used the 5.5 and had 35s with a little trimming. Probably doesn't need 5.5, but it depends on if it's a dd or not, or the look you want. Also, I agree with the $ for the beer budget.:flipoff:

First off I totally forgot to budget for beer. So I'll just raise my budget to 3500. :)

I just looked, I have a Chrysler 8.25.

Well, by the sounds of it I will either have to spend a bit more or shop ebay etc for some used stuff.

I don't mind trimming...in fact I was planning on taking the plastic wheel flares off(the fronts already popped off during an extraction from a bog) and trimming the metal back flush to the panel.

So the RE 4.5 would work ok with 33's?

Graeme said:
First off I totally forgot to budget for beer. So I'll just raise my budget to 3500. :)

I just looked, I have a Chrysler 8.25.

Well, by the sounds of it I will either have to spend a bit more or shop ebay etc for some used stuff.

I don't mind trimming...in fact I was planning on taking the plastic wheel flares off(the fronts already popped off during an extraction from a bog) and trimming the metal back flush to the panel.

So the RE 4.5 would work ok with 33's?

Just get the 3.5 inch kit and trim man.

check out dpg off-roads hybrid kits simply for the pictures...dpgoffroad.com
He uses a "hybrid" kit of the RE 3.5 and fits 33's easily like i said he has some pictures of the setup.

with removing those pesky fenders the 3.5 kit is perfect for 33's. buy abotu 6 hockey pucks, glue them in one by one three to each side of the front spring for a bumpstop. You need to do the bumpstops regardless of what you do anyways. Dont learn the hard way about how a fender slices a tire.

with 3.5 of lift the SYE is optional, albeit highly reccomended because you will go bigger. Lifting is like taking crack, you will want more.

Dont get lockers yet, learn how to drive first. Trail riding with open's is done by some of the best and some of them go more places than an inexperienced guy with full locks.

Take your stock rims, paint them black...boom, black wheels. 33X10.5's will fit fine, it will be close but they work.I use 31X10.5's right now and have no issues.

3000 will get you started, but dont feel crazy after your first 5000.
RE is always a good kit to buy, I went with Rough Country/Rusty's.

I dont think i saw anyone mention the essentials. Your need front and rear recovery, and armor.
My personal opinion is to get armor used since its going to get banged up under the Jeep, and it doesnt have to be pretty. Transfer Case skid, and gas tank skid minimum. Some even say rock sliders minimum also.
A CB is also up there in priority.
After you get the Essentials then you can start to budget out what money you have left to put into the lift, tires, wheels, gears, new rear axle (if you have the D35) etc etc.. Your budget just got cut in half.

Holy crap, you guys are great, talk about quick knowledgable responses.

I do have the Chrys 8.25 so that's not an issue. I don't want to do the upgrade one piece at a time thing. If it takes 5000 to do it right, I will just go that route.

As for recovery points. I am going to get a bumper up front as well, just a simple one(i can't remember what the make was) that had d rings. For the back can you not just use the tow hook or the trailer chain hook ups?

No, you will need to get an adapter for the receiver to put in a d-ring. I believe rustys sells them the cheapest. When you get your bumper, try to get tie ins for the frame. The stock 3 bolts on each side just dont cut it.
After that you should have recovery covered (make sure you also get at least one decent stap that doesnt have metal hooks), next would be armor.. then the rest.

Back