• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do operate ARB locker while wheeling?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so my buddy just scored a sweet deal on a really built jeep. It has an ARB in the rear. I obviusly know all about there being the compressor, lines, etc. I know a switch engages it via the air, etc. My questions are on actually how to use the ARB locker.

Should he stop to engage and disengage the locker?
If not, at what speed is this safe?

How much rotation does axle need to lock? Unlock?

Thanks in advance! His jeep is in transport now and will be here in a few days..... he is pumped.

I don't stop to engage. You don't want to engage it with the hammer down. Its like your transfer case. You don't want to engage 4 high while the rear tires are spinning. It grinds the gear teeth. Same with the locker. Its not a problem to engage while everything is rolling at the same speed. Anticipate the conditions and engage before one of the tires breaks loose.

Use without until you get stuck (or your buddy does).

Engage at a stop.

Crawl up the rest of the way and turn off.

When your buddy hears that your turned yours on, and the "poof" for off at the valves, put the cow bell on your bumper for the first puss out of the day.

Repeat.

Back