• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cylinder head swap

whjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok folk need a little help, I have an 89 xj 4.0 I belive the head might be bad, I have a 93 4.0 with a bad crank but low miles will the head off of the 93 work on the 89. I know the have different injection systems but I was wondering if this would work. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Its not just a direct swap though...
You have to use basically everything from the head up from the donor vehicle. This will also net you alot of horsepower.
Some have "tried" to use the RENIX manifolds on the newer head, but from what i have read its WAY WAY easier to just use the ones from the HO. Plus then you will have the benefit of having the HO throttle body, and i believe the exhaust manifold is a better design also. This will also mean you will need the downpipe (or S pipe) from the donor vehicle as well.
Ive been wanting to do this for awhile, but i decided to wait untill i built a stroker to do it.

Um .. the only thing that i remember isnt really a direct swap is the TPS... you will need to get an adapter for it (since you will be using all the sensors from the RENIX.

If you need more detail then that just post back, and ill try to give you a play by play.... search is your friend.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
TtigerShark I have been searching if you have any suggestions where it would be it would be greatly appreciated. i have search head swap, cylinder head, renix head, and a few others . By the way how is the fishing in Tamopa right now, I used to live down below there.

i believe the dowels that locate the HO head over the gasket and block to line everything up arent there on a renix block so it might be a bit harder to make sure the head is on right before you get some head bolts in there. you going to need to swap all you renix sensors and vacuum lines to the new head(temp sender) and new manifold if you switch manifolds. if you've ever replaced a head gasket on either jeep you should be able to get this job done in a day. whenever im taking a head off or putting one on i find it very difficult to get the last head bolt on the driver's side in because these is a threaded extension above the head of the bolt that hits a part of the firewall there. i use a chop saw to cut the extension off and bolt the crappy ground strap to the next head bolt from the firewall. i think your going to need to use your current thermostat housing because the OBD1 has a computer temp sensor there and yours is in the block. ive never had a Renix so dont hold me to some of this.

as far as the fishing. i havent had much time lately but when ive had the chance i havent had much luck.

Back