• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Faintly Grinding

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
When I throw my 231 into 4HI it will engage, and when i get on the gas, it will faintly grind, but it is so soft, it almost sounds like a hiss. When I coast, it wont make the noise, only in throttle. I know its coming from the TC, the noise comes from the shifter and under my drivers seat. Its not grinding from the axle or anything. Any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks

Dont ever remember my dad changing the TC fluid for as long as I can remember. And he owned the truck 12 years before he gave it to me. Ill check the fluid. (If theres any in there) Might as well change it while i check it right???

Oh and what size bolt is that??? Looks like a 1 1/16th???

CHANGE THE FLUID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap man, you're gonna be lucky if it's not already fried!!

As far as the bolt size, I don't know...I have a 99XJ and it takes a hex head, not a socket or wrench.

keep0njeepin0n said:
CHANGE THE FLUID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap man, you're gonna be lucky if it's not already fried!!

As far as the bolt size, I don't know...I have a 99XJ and it takes a hex head, not a socket or wrench.

Ya the new XJ's take a little 10mm hex head. The old ones like mine take what looks like a 1 1/16th, im sure someone will chime in though.

Thanks for the help though keeponjeepinon! Ill get under there when there isnt 4 inches of snow on the ground. :roll:

you probably already know this, but just a reminder....make sure you undo the fill hole first...if you drain it , and then can't get the fill plug out, you won't be able to refill to the proper level...

McQue said:
you probably already know this, but just a reminder....make sure you undo the fill hole first...if you drain it , and then can't get the fill plug out, you won't be able to refill to the proper level...
Yup i thought of this as well. Nothing like draining it, and then not being able to fill it back up!!

88XJSport said:
Yup i thought of this as well. Nothing like draining it, and then not being able to fill it back up!!
Well, there's nothing like having a vehicle for 12+years and never changing the fluid either....no offense but your dad doesn't sound like a very smart person.

keep0njeepin0n said:
.no offense but your dad doesn't sound like a very smart person.
Thanks...I appreciate it.

I use the 4wd about 1 time if were lucky the whole year. We live in the city and hardly need to use it. Its probably been engaged 20 times in the 20 years it been in service.

Oh and this is what is left of the neglected all original 20 year old POS Jeep in subject after my dad drove it for 14 straight years. These pics are a month old......

DSC00738.jpg

DSC00742.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

DSC00733.jpg

DSC00743.jpg

Its ready for the JY isn't it??

Last edited:
my goodness!!! It's horrible-- just leave the keys in it and walk away! PM me the address and I'll make sure no one gets hurt in the disposal of it!

--Shorty

P.S. you'd better sign over the title just in case something happens, you wouldn't want it to come back on you!

keep0njeepin0n said:
Well, there's nothing like having a vehicle for 12+years and never changing the fluid either....no offense but your dad doesn't sound like a very smart person.

Most people I know don't change their transfer case fulid for a long time. I have 190,000 miles on my jeep and I never changed it. I checked the fluid and it was pink and at the proper level. So, unless its low or getting brown, theirs little reason to change it.

Shorty said:
my goodness!!! It's horrible-- just leave the keys in it and walk away! PM me the address and I'll make sure no one gets hurt in the disposal of it!

--Shorty

P.S. you'd better sign over the title just in case something happens, you wouldn't want it to come back on you!

don't listen to them-- it's a public hazard-- let me get rid of it for you!

Changing the fluid just to change it and get the false sense of accomplishment is just like throwing your money away. I think most people don't realize that 80%+ of cars on the road go way over the transmission service intervals (That might be why trans shops are at every corner!), I see that were I work all the time. And for the most part, they are fine.

If your not in 4low all the time, and 4-wheelin every weekend, its a waste of money to change the T-Case fluid at the mileage interval. This whole thing reminds me of people who change their oil at 3,000 miles and think going over that will (as castrol will say when trying to sell the "3000 mile change") sludge your motor. In most engines thats not the case. You can go over that if your driving normaly and using quality oil.

Just because you're not using 4wd doesn't mean you can go 200,000 miles between fluid changes. Your T-case still has moving parts that work in 2wd just the same. There is less of a load on those parts yes, but still.........

Back