• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie needs help on rear axle swapping

kurt1240

NAXJA Forum User
This will be my first post here but I have been doing alot of searching. I am debating about rear axle swap. I have a 98 w/ 8.25 rear. I only see around 35" tires max with some 4.56 gears and a locker. Should I keep the 8.25 or swap to a D44 or 8.8? And if a swap would be better should I go with the 8.8 or the 44? Thanks in advance.:worship:

I have done an 8.8 swap and it is really easy. There are alot more aftermarket lockers and gear choices for the 44 though, and they did come in some xj's, which is the easiest swap you could do. I have a 8.25 welded with 33's and I haven't had any problems.

Ok, I admit I missed that one. Sometimes searching I tend to wander off in other directons. As you probably know the worst or best terrain around me is Telico and who doesn't love the skinny. I have access to both for about the same price. I happen to have a close neighboor who owns a junkyard and we get along well. The jeep will be both DD of 5 miles round trip to the office and moderate wheeling. I'm not building a buggy, yet.

I agree, the 44 has alot of aftermarket support. Plus, it's a direct bolt in. Good luck with your search.

Welding is fine. I don't really like the idea of ford parts under my jeep, but I am impressed with the strength of a 9". Used to race one with great luck.

rocklimo73 said:
I was trying to sell my parts in the mod_tech forum, but my post was deleted and the messages quoting me were edited. I know better for next time. :)

Welcome to NAXJA

Just my Opinion.. but pay up $35.00 and then peddle your parts in the Classified Section... again, just my opinion.. i'll probably get flamed for it though...

Also, they can be had here in the SE for that or less and not have to deal w/ shipping...

Last edited by a moderator:
uncc civilengineer said:
Welcome to NAXJA

Just my Opinion.. but pay up $35.00 and then peddle your parts in the Classified Section... again, just my opinion.. i'll probably get flamed for it though...

Also, they can be had here in the SE for that or less and not have to deal w/ shipping...

I got a whole jeep with one that was rolled for $300 so after I took it to the crusher the dana 44 only cost me about $150 with gas and everything to go get it

I just wonder if it is even worth the trouble to swap or just leave the 8.25 in. As i said i will only be running 35's max and it may only be 33's. Either way there will probably be an ARB or OX locker. It will be getting some bus and mall duty.

auto or manual?
If you have a manual I would say go 8.8 because manuals tend to introduce more shock loads into axles.....If you are a finesse driver and are easy on the throttle,carry spare shafts and you'll likley be fine.I would at the very least upgrade to alloy shafts which will be 35% stronger.The 8.25 has 3" diameter tubes(bigger than the 8.8 and the d-44) so bending them really isn't an issue.You do run a risk twisting the tubes but a truss will help there.

This fawking topic gets !!!1 to death......I vote sticky or FAQ section!!! No offense Kurt1240......I know you're a new.

Last edited:
I will also add that the d-44 only has one more spline than the 29 spline 8.25 and the 8.8 only has one more spline than the 44.....but the 8.25's axle tubes are more beefy than both of the above axles which is why I decided to run it on my rig with 34's and extra shafts....open for the time being,But I'll keep it after I get the loot for lockers....

All three axle are really close in the strength dept with the 8.25,IMHO,having the advantage due to tube diameter.Add alloys and it will be up to d44 strength!!
I'll probably get flamed for saying such a bold statement because there are alot of c-clip(8.25 is c-clip the other two are not) haters out there.....flame suit on!!!

Last edited:
also read this before deciding on the 8.8.....personally I think they are junk.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13630&highlight=ford+8.8+axle+tube+diameter

uncc: power trax locker and alloy shafts are available for the 8.25,what more does one want?I know the selections are fewer for this axle but they exist all the same.And concerning c-clips....do you not still have to remove the diff cover for axle shaft replacement to push out the broken shaft on a non-c-clip,semifloating axle like the d-44 and 8.8???I'd rather remove two c-clips than fawk with removing a bunch of flange bolts and or brake hardware on the trail....
Not trying to be a dick.....

Last edited:
outlander said:
also read this before deciding on the 8.8.....personally I think they are junk.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13630&highlight=ford+8.8+axle+tube+diameter

uncc: power trax locker and alloy shafts are available for the 8.25,what more does one want?I know the selections are fewer for this axle but they exist all the same.And concerning c-clips....do you not still have to remove the diff cover for axle shaft replacement on a non-c-clip,semifloating axle like the d-44 and 8.8???
Not trying to be a dick.....

It is my understanding that the aftermarket shafts for the 8.25 are not the same as what you're thinking... the 8.25's are 1541 steel material while most shafts for say the D44 are 4140 chromoly. Also I ran a No-Slip and it's a great locker.. I believe your other options are Detroit and ARB... maybe OX.. I do know that trying to remove a c-clip after the locker was in was a pain in the ass. Also you do not have to remove the diff cover to replace a shaft w/ a 44... With an 8.8 yes unless you have c-clip elim's... Not 100% sure on this but I think I'm right..

uncc civilengineer said:
It is my understanding that the aftermarket shafts for the 8.25 are not the same as what you're thinking... the 8.25's are 1541 steel material while most shafts for say the D44 are 4140 chromoly. Also I ran a No-Slip and it's a great locker.. I believe your other options are Detroit and ARB... maybe OX.. I do know that trying to remove a c-clip after the locker was in was a pain in the ass. Also you do not have to remove the diff cover to replace a shaft w/ a 44... With an 8.8 yes unless you have c-clip elim's... Not 100% sure on this but I think I'm right..

You are dead on. I was just coming back to this thread to post pretty much exactly what you are saying.

I'm a HUGE fan of the 8.25. I even installed one recently into a friends rig with 35's on it. That doesnt change that you can't get CrMo shafts for it, and it only has 4.56 gears.

His wife is getting a second xj that has an 8.25 in it, I'm going to put a tracklock and 29 spline shafts in it as well, so he can run one spare for both rigs. Otherwise I'd probably have dug up an 8.8 for him.

Given that, I'd go with a dana 44 any day. Throw a 33 splne arb or detroit with 33 spline shafts in it. Forget you have a rear end. Drive. Done.

Back