• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 Elec window issue...

ACME

NAXJA Forum User
I've been chasing this one and can't figure it out... HELP! '98 XJ electric windows all roll down from the drivers control but the rest seem like the "kiddy lock" is on and won't roll from their seperate controls. all wires are hooked and voltage is flowing but still no bueno... The biggest problem is while the wife is driving I cannot get my window down to flip off crappy drivers, I've busted 2 knuckles trying to get my finger out in a hurry...

Sounds like a bad master switch. The child lock is probably stuck on. Happens over time with soda, coffee, body oils, etc...
As for the knuckles, lol, don't clean the glass for a while. Then you'll know it's still up.

Check your wiring at the master harness and all through the door. If it is a slightly loose connection you should be able to press down around on the master switch and have the other windows come on. Or pull the door panel off and see if you can wiggle any of the connections any which way to make the other switches come on. I had the same problem and diagnosed it wrong. I thought the contacts in the switch were bad, so I replaced the master and still had the same problem. So I checked my wires and I had loose connectors in the harness. So try all that first before you replace the master.

I had the same issue a while back. Replaced the master switch on the driver's door. Worked for me. Be sure to check out your old one before buying a new one because they won't let you return it if it has been installed.

I had the same problem - followed the link above, worked off of the instructions, haven't had a problem since.

Back