• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better replacemnt rod end for RE track bar?

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of a better replacement rod end (heim) for the RE 1600 track bar? Mine is starting to get a little sloppy and since it's time to replace it I was wondering if anyone has found a better one before I order an RE replacement. I'm okay with the life I've gotten out of mine but figured if there is something better out there then maybe I should give that a shot.

I know everyone is going to trash the 1600 and tell me to get a better track bar, etc, but most of the better quality TBs are for bigger lifts than mine and require a new bracket, etc. That just isn't in the budget right now.

Any recommendations where to order the RE replacement? If I order from RE directly it takes forever to get here.

RE uses a 3/4"-16 LH hiem for the 1600 trackbar, so any quality heim such aurora or F.K. with those dimensions will work.

Also, I believe currie makes a johnny joint with a threaded shank that will fit.

Man, you got me all excited about putting a johnny joint on there, but although they JJs have the correct shank the bolt hole diameter is only 7/16". I need 3/4" or 5/8". 7/16" is probably for double shear, but I think for the single shear this will be used in I need the 5/8".

I've been thinking (over thinking probably) going with a JJ and using the RE1665 HD mount. The only problem is that the JJ uses a 7/16" bolt and the RE1665 is drilled for a 1/2". I can get around this by making bushings. The only thing that bothers me is the somewhat small 7/16" bolt. Since JKS uses a 9/16" bolt in single shear and the 7/16" will be in double it should be pretty strong, it just "feels" small.

Has anyone used a JJ in a track bar? How did it work out?

stoneattic said:
I've been thinking (over thinking probably) going with a JJ and using the RE1665 HD mount. The only problem is that the JJ uses a 7/16" bolt and the RE1665 is drilled for a 1/2". I can get around this by making bushings. The only thing that bothers me is the somewhat small 7/16" bolt. Since JKS uses a 9/16" bolt in single shear and the 7/16" will be in double it should be pretty strong, it just "feels" small.

Has anyone used a JJ in a track bar? How did it work out?

Why not just run a heim turned side-to-side with misalignment spacers? Other than up down motion, the track bar doesn't see alot more movement. It'll travel forward/backward with suspension travel some, but not alot, and the heim's have proven to be plenty strong...

FYI.

I installed the JJ with the RE bracket and it worked perfectly. I ordered this JJ:

http://www.currieenterprises.com/CEStore/Product.aspx?id=2961

and this bracket:

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=324&Pn=1797&XnPath=320,323,324&Vid=623E2C4953881

The problem is the JJ uses a 7/16" bolt and the bracket uses a 1/2" bolt. So the choices are to increase the hole diameter in the JJ or decrease the hole diameter in the bracket via bushings or such. Increasing the hole diameter in the JJ seemed like the simplest way to go. Since Currie's site says the JJ is hardened I got a machinist friend to bore it out to 1/2" with a 1/2" carbide mill in a lathe. He said it cut easily so maybe a HSS drill would have been fine. The misalignment bushing part of the JJ is only 1/16" wall after opening up the bore. It may be a little thin but I figure I'll run it like this and if I see it distorting, cracking, etc, I'll cut those pieces off and make or buy some misalignment bushings with a 1/2" ID and thicker walls. I think it will be fine as is since they shouldn't be seeing too much load in a a direction that would be a problem.

On thing to note is that I'm at 4". If I were any lower it wouldn't work without shortening the track bar. The JJ is almost completely screwed in. Of course this might be helpful for people who are higher and are running out of thread engagement on the heim.

Back